What's new

Make surface + keyboard, rigid?

queshaw

How can I make the surface with keyboard, function like a laptop? That is, use it laying on my lap, without it flopping closed, or flopping over backwards. Or, be able to pick it up with one hand without the same happening.

I saw a dent article about fitting it into the bottom half of a laptop case. Is there a solution that I can buy?

Haha zdnet was corrected to dent...

Queshaw

Last edited:
OP
Q

queshaw

That would be lovely. Unfortunately, I can't afford it.

I think I just need a wooden/plastic rectangle with some grooves cut into it. But, I have limited access to tools.

Plantje

Less expensive... but does exactly what you're looking for: Brydge 12.3

Still I would love it if Microsoft would make a Surface Pro - Surface Book -hybrid. So a Surface Pro (in size etc) that you can dock to the regular Surface Pro Type Cover, but that also fits a new Surface Book like dock. And of course: please with LTE! :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
That would be lovely. Unfortunately, I can't afford it.

I think I just need a wooden/plastic rectangle with some grooves cut into it. But, I have limited access to tools.

You can find someone to craft just the thing out of bamboo on Etsy.

OP
Q

queshaw

Less expensive... but does exactly what you're looking for: Brydge 12.3

Still I would love it if Microsoft would make a Surface Pro - Surface Book -hybrid. So a Surface Pro (in size etc) that you can dock to the regular Surface Pro Type Cover, but that also fits a new Surface Book like dock. And of course: please with LTE! :)

Thank you! Perfect solution.

Turbo4AWD

Depends on your posture, but if you just want a "rigid keyboard" then buy an aftermarket keyboard that attaches to the Surface firmly. Otherwise, if I am sitting with legs crossed, the kickstand goes over my legs and the keyboard fits perfectly without flopping. If I am not crossing my legs, the Surface keyboard fits perfectly, flatly, with the extra magnet attached on the bottom of the screen to tilt up the keyboard. No issues there either. It really is just figuring out a different way to place the device on your lap. There is definitely a way without needing a hard case keyboard.