What's new

Make the power button put the SP3 into hibernate? Also, problems with sleep mode...

FrankMurphy

Does anyone know how to make the power button put the SP3 into hibernate mode on both AC power and battery power? I can do it on AC power by booting into safe mode and changing the power settings there, but I don't see the battery power settings in safe mode, only the AC power settings.

I don't particularly care about connected standby mode, and I've found it to be unreliable. For example, disconnecting the SP3 from AC power while it's asleep will wake it up. Also, it won't prompt for a password on wakeup even if you have that option enabled in the security settings (dangerous for those of us who have small kids in the house who love messing with our devices)..

OP
F

FrankMurphy

Okay, I figured this out. To fully restore hibernate mode (so that it shows up in the power profiles advanced options under lid close actions and power button actions), you have to enable Hyper-V. To enable Hyper-V, search for "Turn Windows features on or off" from the charms bar. Click on that, and in the list that appears, make sure Hyper-V is checked. Restart, and there you go. You should be able to select hibernate as the default action for pressing the power button and closing the lid.

As a negative side effect, you'll lose sleep mode, so you need to choose one or the other. As a positive side effect, you get the time estimates in the battery meter back.

ctitanic

Just turn off Hyper V by running this command from a DOS Windows.

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

ctitanic

Actually, in order to fully enable hibernate mode, you need to enable Hyper-V, which is disabled by default.
You don't need the Hyper V service running to have hibernation. That's the way I have it.

WP_20140712_002.jpg

ctitanic

Just to be clear, I'm not saying to uninstall Hyper V, just to use that command to stop the service.

OP
F

FrankMurphy

Is there a way to make hibernate appear in the close lid action menu and the power button action menu without enabling Hyper-V? I haven't been able to find one. Without Hyper-V, even if hibernate shows up in the power menu, it doesn't show up in the close lid action menu and the power button action menu in the power profile settings.

Attachments

• IMAG0473.jpg
    IMAG0473.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 864

ctitanic

Once it's set, you can stop Hyper-V and the setting remains. That's the workaround we used to fix the Wifi issue.

ScottyS

Hibernate still works with Connected Standby and Hyper-V disabled, it just doesn't show up on shut down options or as an option of what to do when you press power button or shut lid, etc.
upload_2014-9-17_1-31-0.png

In fact, doesn't it go into hibernate after 4 hours of sleep or if battery gets too low?

I have a shortcut I made to -
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
which works to enter hibernate, even though I don't have hibernate on my shut down menu.

ScottyS

I enabled Hyper-V and now have no Sleep, but I have Hibernate.
upload_2014-9-17_1-44-59.png

Going back to disable Hyper-V. Having it Sleep when I close the type cover and having it pop back to life in an instant is one of the Surface's nicest features.

ctitanic

Hibernate still works with Connected Standby and Hyper-V disabled, it just doesn't show up on shut down options or as an option of what to do when you press power button or shut lid, etc.
View attachment 3705

In fact, doesn't it go into hibernate after 4 hours of sleep or if battery gets too low?

I have a shortcut I made to -
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
which works to enter hibernate, even though I don't have hibernate on my shut down menu.
You can have it in your power button:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FlyoutMenuSettings]
"ShowHibernateOption"=dword:00000001