What's new

Man, the wife is pissed.

Gottria

So I decided to pick up a Surface 3 to play around with as I don't have a personal windows machine that is portable, I have a dell XPS 13 but that is strictly a work laptop. Didn't want to buy new as if I didn't care for it I wouldn't take much of a loss on reselling it.

So I started hitting Craigslist for units, sent out a few emails on some deals and ended up with a sweet Surface 3 128gb with blue type cover and 2 surface pro 3 pens, the ones with the funky purple top but hey they work, for $400 with the extended warranty and accidental till June of 2017, not bad in my opinion.

Now this is where the wife gets pissed. In the process of sending out emails fishing for deals, you know low balling and sending out offers. I get a replay to one saying he would take my offer of $260 on a $300 system. Intregued I ask more questions as his ad on CL wasn't to specific and the picture sucked. He says he is still looking for the charger to power it up but on the back it says "Surface" and under the kickstand it says 512mb :eek:. I asked if it worked and he said he found the charger and sends me a screen shot of the system page, i7 8gb. I told him I'll take it. I landed a Surface Pro 3 i7 8gb 512 with a black type cover and box for $260. It's out of warranty but it's super clean with not a scratch, type cover shows some sings of use but not abused and works.

Now which one do I keep and which one do I sell? I don't need both. The SP3 is so sweet with tons of storage and a nice big screen but the S3 is one nice little unit that is fully covered for over a year with protection.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should be able to sell that i7 for 900ish and turn a 240 profit including the S3 price.

OP
G

Gottria

THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING!!! It's almost like a free S3 with warranty!!! But then I think I'll never be able to afford another i7 512gb SP3 again just keep it. It's a beast if I ever need.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I think your spouse will grow to love the Surface, then you will find it easier to upgrade in the future.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING!!! It's almost like a free S3 with warranty!!! But then I think I'll never be able to afford another i7 512gb SP3 again just keep it. It's a beast if I ever need.
Well I suppose you'll need to spend 150 on the wife to make up so in the end you'll only net 90. ;)

OP
G

Gottria

I just bought her an iPad last year, she's an Apple gal. TO make matters more interesting I picked up a Pro 4 type cover for $40 on CL this morning. Man, what a difference from the Pro 3 keyboard. No is the Pro 4 pen a big difference than the Pro 3 pen?

BerryAl

I just bought her an iPad last year, she's an Apple gal. TO make matters more interesting I picked up a Pro 4 type cover for $40 on CL this morning. Man, what a difference from the Pro 3 keyboard. No is the Pro 4 pen a big difference than the Pro 3 pen?
Treat yourself. Keep the SP3 with the Type cover 4, the keyboard is worth it alone imo. Sell the surface 3 and feel good about what you've managed to grab yourself. Well done, I love a good tech bargain story :D

OP
G

Gottria

Treat yourself. Keep the SP3 with the Type cover 4, the keyboard is worth it alone imo. Sell the surface 3 and feel good about what you've managed to grab yourself. Well done, I love a good tech bargain story :D

I agree BerryAl, it's one hell of a machine. If I keep the SP3 then I can send back that 200gb micro SD card I just bought for the S3 and get my $80 back also. I really like the micro USB charging on the S3 as I already have a ton of those around the house, work and the cars, but man does that thing charge slow.