What's new

Map pen input on extended external monitor?

dream3

Hey guys.

Got my sweet surface pro 2 here hooked up to an external monitor.

I would like to use the extended setting so I can have 2 screens instead of mirroring the surface's.

However, if I extend screen, I can't get the pen cursor to show on the 2nd monitor. I'd have to use a mouse to do that, which is not the case for me.

I figured since the pen works 100% fine in mirror mode and projection mode (surface screen turned off, external screen only), it has got to work when screens are extended.

How can I make the cursor appear in my external second monitor, while having the surface screen turned on as well? Maybe some sort of way to switch between both?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pen works off of a very fine mesh of pickups (digitizer) embedded in the Surface screen, not going to happen on an external screen unless it has the same technology embedded in that screen also.

OP
D

dream3

Thanks Greyfox, but I don't think you got my question right. I've changed the title in order to best reflect my needs.

What I'd like to do is simple map the pen input the surface's digitizer receives to the external monitor. They both have the same resolution too.

As I mentioned, that already happens when I set the configuration to "mirror displays" or to "2nd display only". So I need some way to toggle between the 2 displays while having both of them active, instead of mirroring or having only the external display active.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Greyfox, but I don't think you got my question right. I've changed the title in order to best reflect my needs.

What I'd like to do is simple map the pen input the surface's digitizer receives to the external monitor. They both have the same resolution too.

As I mentioned, that already happens when I set the configuration to "mirror displays" or to "2nd display only". So I need some way to toggle between the 2 displays while having both of them active, instead of mirroring or having only the external display active.
The Digitizer on the SP3 (and 100% of TabletPCs) don't support this scenario, the only way to do this is through mirroring. The Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 supports acting as an input device for another PC but not anpother monitor....

OP
D

dream3

So something like the "Display Toggle" option available in intuos tablets and other wacom tablets simply can't be reproduced with tabletpcs?