What's new

Marvell Avastar 350N fails weekly

roving

The Marvell Wireless Adapter on a Surface Pro quits working every several days requiring uninstalling using Device Manager and restarting the Surface, which reinstalls it and then all is well for a few days. This started several weeks ago. Of course this should not be a recurring problem. What can be done to correct this problem permanently?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the age of this device? It's been working fine for x months and now fails weekly?
Are there event log entries or messages indicating any problems that might shed a clue to the nature of the problem?

OP
R

roving

It belongs to the better half, and is about 9 months old. Guess it is possible an update might have caused it, but would expect others would be mentioning it. I'll try to find the event log and will report back.

OP
R

roving

I am looking at the Event Log. Lots !! of various types. About 29,000 in Application. 48,000 in System. I have no idea what to look for. Are theses large numbers usual?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am looking at the Event Log. Lots !! of various types. About 29,000 in Application. 48,000 in System. I have no idea what to look for. Are theses large numbers usual?
Don't be concerned about total numbers of events.
Select the system log and on the Action menu select Find. search for Marvell. I found two events in my log that were milliseconds apart... essentially the same event that occurred on the 30th of November.

OP
R

roving

I did the search and I found two on 19th about 2 ms apart b0th relating to Marvell driver. Source is User PnP. My last uninstall and reinstall was on the 19th. Event ID 20001 Task Cat. (7005)

Next mention is on the 13th with the source being Diagnostics-Network. #5200 Repair Option Failure, Followed by #4000 Diagnosis Success 1 ms later. and followed immediately by #6100 Helper Class Info.

Is this of any help?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did the search and I found two on 19th about 2 ms apart b0th relating to Marvell driver. Source is User PnP. My last uninstall and reinstall was on the 19th. Event ID 20001 Task Cat. (7005)

Next mention is on the 13th with the source being Diagnostics-Network. #5200 Repair Option Failure, Followed by #4000 Diagnosis Success 1 ms later. and followed immediately by #6100 Helper Class Info.

Is this of any help?
Not what I was hoping for... since we didn't hit anything that corresponds to weekly problems. Perhaps look for events related to the uninstall and reinstall and back up fro there to see if something common occurred prior to these.

So... not sure if its a hardware or software problem.
In these cases where we have no smoking gun a Refresh or Reset is a Hail Mary but you would have to reinstall all desktop apps... id grudgingly do the Refresh if no clues turn up. If your up to it you could try MS Support, they may have some information or diag tool for the problem.

Last edited:
OP
R

roving

Which is the latest Avastar 350n driver? The Surface Pro shows version 14.69.24054.176 installed. The latest I found on the net is 14.69.24040.136, so it appears that the installed driver is the later version. Do you agree? What version do you have?

OP
R

roving

Thanks for that info. Working OK so far for a number of days, so maybe a Win update added something. Will just watch and wait and hope.

CoronadoCoin

I too have repeated issues with Marvell AVASTAR WiFi Driver failing. Sounds dumb but easiest fix is to restart. I had Microsoft in San Diego mall fix it, but they reloaded the driver. I paid for Office Depot support in Vegas two separate times to uninstall and reinstall the driver, as I didn't have online access to get the driver. This happened about two months apart. It seemed like a good idea was to carry around a thumb drive with Marvell AVASTAR preloaded for emergencies. Then I went to Las Vegas mall Microsoft two months ago and she restarted it. No worries. It did it again tonight and I forgot about the quick fix while I was browsing the forum. Worked like a charm. I think many times I don't shut down or restart the Surface, I just close laptop. It may be related to this? Hope this helps.