What's new

Mass Power Drain From SP2

samtoohey93

Hi All,

Im new to the forum so I figure I would start out by picking your brains all a bit.

I own an SP2 and I love it. It is my work pc and my home PC, i take it everywhere with me and I have come to rely on it very much so.

although this morning, oddly enough when I switched it on at 8.30am, within an hour the power was down to 70%! and by 11am it was giving me warning 10% battery left messages (as I type this I am charging it up).

Im hoping this is an isolated incident but in a 3 hour period with mediumish usage (wifi on, word document & excel open with chrome open with Mail & Outlook on standbuy). this is a normal load for me for a normal day and I tend to pull out from 8.30 I get about to 3 olock or 3.30pm to it until i need to charge which im very happy with.
I did overcharge it last night but I rarely do over charge my SP2 and Im very careful with batteries.

Am I being Paranoid or should I keep an eye on it??

Sam

OP
samtoohey93

samtoohey93

I should also point out that my daily needs are used on the Balanced Power setting.

Also the SP2 is a little hotter than normal as well so i think this could have something to do with it?

GoodBytes

Can you repeat your situation without Chrome, use IE11 or Firefox. Chrome has a reputation of eating battery life like if it was nothing (that is what makes it so fast, it is very aggressive, and careless about power efficiency)
That is what I am thinking. If it solved your problem great!, If not, then we obviously just ruled it out, and it is something else.

I should also point out that my daily needs are used on the Balanced Power setting.

Also the SP2 is a little hotter than normal as well so i think this could have something to do with it?

sounds like something is def working the processor, mine is cool to the touch doing normal stuff...games will warm it up for sure

OP
samtoohey93

samtoohey93

I figured that much as well callihan. It's just weird it happens on my day to day. I ended up using it tonight and it's fine now so hopefully is an isolated incident. I'm gonna give ie a crack Tomorrow

jollywombat

If you notice this again, open task manager and check out what your consistent CPU usage is, and what is utilizing it. There is an issue with constant 30% CPU utilization by system/system interrupts that is being discussed on the forums here. No official resolution for it so far other than a restart temporarily fixing it.

+1 for chrome eating battery life, especially if there is any flash on the open pages. As much as I like chrome on my desktops, starting to lean towards firefox for mobile needs.

GoodBytes

Yea I use Chrome on my desktop. But I use Firefox and IE11 on my Surface Pro 2 (IE11 for touch, and Firefox when put into laptop)

fraser_ian

Me too. Updated a few days ago (no idea what the update was but Microsoft anyway) and have had hot air which was unusual and very sudden battery drain, normally very good until now.