What's new

Massive Battery Drain on Surface 3?

OP
A

ajharper

Well, I re-imaged with a fresh install of the 8.1 Enterprise ISO and same thing (didn't install any patches). I lost 20% in 34 minutes. This time the processor was utilizing the battery instead of the previous unidentified devices. I'm going to roll back to factory 8.1 Core and make sure I don't experience the same issues. The I have to decide to keep the thing in the hopes I can install Enterprise at some point. If I had been smart I would have left the thing at work so I wouldn't have obsessed about it on my day off.

netuser

Well, I re-imaged with a fresh install of the 8.1 Enterprise ISO and same thing (didn't install any patches). I lost 20% in 34 minutes. This time the processor was utilizing the battery instead of the previous unidentified devices. I'm going to roll back to factory 8.1 Core and make sure I don't experience the same issues. The I have to decide to keep the thing in the hopes I can install Enterprise at some point. If I had been smart I would have left the thing at work so I wouldn't have obsessed about it on my day off.

Did you ever install Enterprise and let it run overnight to see if it settles? It could be doing various scans and drive indexing, drive encrypting etc. that drain the battery as a fresh build that will quiet down after they are all complete.

OP
A

ajharper

Post you Sleep Study and Energy Reports and maybe we can narrow something down....BTW - I'm leaving for the Airport in about an hour so I will sporadic at best for the rest of the day...

Well, if you've seen my other thread people said Pro would work on the Surface 3 no problem because places like CDW are shipping it with Windows Pro. I installed Pro on my S3 and I'm having the exact same problems with the same unregistered devices. So, it is something with whatever drivers/devices that my company's ISO is installing. I'm convinced if I can figure out what devices are preventing the S3 from going into standby or just not stay active 100% of the time that Enterprise will work just fine. I also see similar posts in some other Surface Pro 2 forums. So this isn't a new issue for many people. However, there doesn't seem to be a universal solution. I don't know if I can paste links, but I'll paste a link to my sleepstudy report in my Google Drive. Anyone have any idea how I can find the culprits? The report doesn't provide much help. It will show up as HTML code until you download it locally and open in browser.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9BkN6Z2SpZ4bTFYSlZEcEVLdjg&authuser=0

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you've seen my other thread people said Pro would work on the Surface 3 no problem because places like CDW are shipping it with Windows Pro. I installed Pro on my S3 and I'm having the exact same problems with the same unregistered devices. So, it is something with whatever drivers/devices that my company's ISO is installing. I'm convinced if I can figure out what devices are preventing the S3 from going into standby or just not stay active 100% of the time that Enterprise will work just fine. I also see similar posts in some other Surface Pro 2 forums. So this isn't a new issue for many people. However, there doesn't seem to be a universal solution. I don't know if I can paste links, but I'll paste a link to my sleepstudy report in my Google Drive. Anyone have any idea how I can find the culprits? The report doesn't provide much help. It will show up as HTML code until you download it locally and open in browser.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9BkN6Z2SpZ4bTFYSlZEcEVLdjg&authuser=0
You are missing the Intel Chipset Drivers for the Cherry Trail SoC, install the drivers from the Driver Pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

OP
A

ajharper

You are missing the Intel Chipset Drivers for the Cherry Trail SoC, install the drivers from the Driver Pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. This makes sense. I had already downloaded the drivers last week. I don't show anything missing in Device Manager or with the yellow warning icon. Which device should I try updating. I don't see anything related to Intel chipsets. I did run the firmware update within the Device Manager and did a reboot. I'm not sure if that will have an effect.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff,

Thanks for the info. This makes sense. I had already downloaded the drivers last week. I don't show anything missing in Device Manager or with the yellow warning icon. Which device should I try updating. I don't see anything related to Intel chipsets. I did run the firmware update within the Device Manager and did a reboot. I'm not sure if that will have an effect.
From looking at your report, my guess would be the drivers listed under the Drivers\System Folder....

OP
A

ajharper

From looking at your report, my guess would be the drivers listed under the Drivers\System Folder....

Jeff,

No joy. I went through every folder in the Drivers\System and installed the drivers (they should have already been installed I think). Rebooted each time it asked and still the battery drain is there. People with various brands of tablets have reported the same device(s) showing in the sleepstudy report but no one has a specific cause. Some say it was Skype, Some say it was the camera/microphone combo, etc. Not sure how to figure out what is going on an MS support is not helpful. Maybe if I had business support. If anyone else is reading this, have you put Pro or Enterprise on and what kind of battery life are you experiencing?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff,

No joy. I went through every folder in the Drivers\System and installed the drivers (they should have already been installed I think). Rebooted each time it asked and still the battery drain is there. People with various brands of tablets have reported the same device(s) showing in the sleepstudy report but no one has a specific cause. Some say it was Skype, Some say it was the camera/microphone combo, etc. Not sure how to figure out what is going on an MS support is not helpful. Maybe if I had business support. If anyone else is reading this, have you put Pro or Enterprise on and what kind of battery life are you experiencing?
You unknown devices are:

SB.PCI0.XHC1 and SB.PCI0.GFX0

One is the Chipset and the other is Video...

OP
A

ajharper

You unknown devices are:

SB.PCI0.XHC1 and SB.PCI0.GFX0

One is the Chipset and the other is Video...

Jeff,

Thanks. Fingers crossed that installing the display driver solved the issue. After being in standby for 45 minutes it only went down 1%. Device manager didn't show any issues with the display adapter but when I had it update the driver, it did install and now it says Intel HD instead of MS basic display. So I did the same for every device and it found one other one (not related to chipset) but I can't remember what it was. Thanks again for the help. Hopefully this will allow Enterprise to run without serious battery issues. I'll post results after I get everything patched and use for a few days.