What's new

Massive problems with update to Windows 8.1B

Arizona Willie

My Surface Pro took the update with no problem.
But my Desktop computer refused to take the update.
Turns out that an earlier update KB2919442 is required before you can update to 8.1B and it is often corrupted.
Many people have reported problems with updating.
Yesterday I spent 2 hours on the phone with an girl in India as she tried to get the update to 8.1B to install and she couldn't do it either.
She bumped it up to Level 2 and scheduled me for a call from Level 2 for 9 am this morning.
At 9:30 am I got a call from Windows scheduling telling me that due to extremely high call volume they rescheduled my call to 4:30 this afternoon.

This update appears to be a disaster with thousands, if not millions, of people having problems with it.

In my case, and many others too, the KB2919442 update is corrupted. In Control Panel / Windows Updates / Installed Updates is shows it IS installed but it can't be uninstalled. When you click on any other update a window pops up asking if you are sure you want to uninstall the update. But on this one update and this update ONLY it does not pop up like it should.
Also, I cannot re-install the KB2919442 update because it says it is already installed.

But, if I go to the Metro interface / Settings / change pc settings / Updates and recovery / Installed update the KB2919442 update is NOT installed.

One place shows it installed, another says it isn't.

Also my Skydrive still says Skydrive but in Programs and Features it shows Onedrive was installed but the name was never changed on folders etc. etc.

Anyway, it appears that thousands and thousands of people are having problems with the update to Windows 8.1B and / or previous updates especially KB2919442.

Last edited:

kundas1

Jeez MS, get your sh!t together... that's why I will never install win8 nor buy a new computer with win8.... ever!

macmee

My Surface Pro took the update with no problem.
But my Desktop computer refused to take the update.
Turns out that an earlier update KB2919442 is required before you can update to 8.1B and it is often corrupted.
Many people have reported problems with updating.
Yesterday I spent 2 hours on the phone with an girl in India as she tried to get the update to 8.1B to install and she couldn't do it either.
She bumped it up to Level 2 and scheduled me for a call from Level 2 for 9 am this morning.
At 9:30 am I got a call from Windows scheduling telling me that due to extremely high call volume they rescheduled my call to 4:30 this afternoon.

This update appears to be a disaster with thousands, if not millions, of people having problems with it.

In my case, and many others too, the KB2919442 update is corrupted. In Control Panel / Windows Updates / Installed Updates is shows it IS installed but it can't be uninstalled. When you click on any other update a window pops up asking if you are sure you want to uninstall the update. But on this one update and this update ONLY it does not pop up like it should.
Also, I cannot re-install the KB2919442 update because it says it is already installed.

But, if I go to the Metro interface / Settings / change pc settings / Updates and recovery / Installed update the KB2919442 update is NOT installed.

One place shows it installed, another says it isn't.

Also my Skydrive still says Skydrive but in Programs and Features it shows Onedrive was installed but the name was never changed on folders etc. etc.

Anyway, it appears that thousands and thousands of people are having problems with the update to Windows 8.1B and / or previous updates especially KB2919442.

Yep yep, quite a similar problem to the one I had on my actual surface.

In the end I cut my losses and did a complete reinstall of Windows. Completely resolved the issue, and was completely annoying to orchestrate.

benjitek

Guess I'm lucky -- went off without a hitch. About the only feature I really notice is the ability to close a Modern UI app with a mouseclick now instead of dragging it downward and holding it until it spins around. Never really had an issue switching between desktop and tiles, so those changes I don't care about...

Devolver

Dammit I should never have updated.... now I can't stream to the TV the play to option is not even selectable... sigh I love my surface pro 2 but these update problems are a awful joke.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Dammit I should never have updated.... now I can't stream to the TV the play to option is not even selectable... sigh I love my surface pro 2 but these update problems are a awful joke.

Have you tried to remove the TV from devices and re-add it?

Devolver

its not showing up at all, there isn't even an option to "play to" when I right click media files, I've even removed and added media player as a feature. I'm wondering if using a restore point from before the update would be beneficial at all. Or un-install the updates and try again

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well, the finally fixed it a couple of days ago. Took about 10 hours on the phone with 3 different " techs ".
Microsoft finally released a fix for the problem.
They removed the KB update ending in 355 that they had been trying to install over and over and over and over and it failed every time.
There was a corrupted update sent out ( probably only on certain servers which is why it didn't affect everyone ).
So far ... so good.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
its not showing up at all, there isn't even an option to "play to" when I right click media files, I've even removed and added media player as a feature. I'm wondering if using a restore point from before the update would be beneficial at all. Or un-install the updates and try again

Do you have VirtualBox or BlueStacks installed? If yes, uninstall it and see if it comes back...

Devolver

No I have none of them installed, or any kind of VM. The only thing close is xilinx dev pack, and cadence orcad, which has been removed.

Do you think a system restore point can be harmful in anyway?

And BTW thanks for taking time to help me out.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No I have none of them installed, or any kind of VM. The only thing close is xilinx dev pack, and cadence orcad, which has been removed.

Do you think a system restore point can be harmful in anyway?

And BTW thanks for taking time to help me out.

Since DNLA uses WiFi Direct so anything that impacted that (even connectify) could impact that ability. Before doing a reset or refresh (both are safe), Is your network set to Private with sharing enabled?

Devolver

yeah I checked, no settings seem to have changed, media stream is on and everything. It is as if it cannot even see my TV on the network, but it can see my NAS and other computers.

My TV can't see my SP2 any more either after the update.

Last edited: