What's new

Massive problems with update to Windows 8.1B

Devolver

its not certified, but the odd thing ia that it worked fine before the update, it boggles the mind that an update would actually remove/deteriorate a feature.

before the update I could see the TV show up as non certified, which meant that I could only use dlna streaming through the desktop and not metro. I did it simply by right clicking and selecting "play to" without doing registry edits.

I think I am going to restore, and maybe update again, something must have gone wrong during the process.

f4f

Well, the finally fixed it a couple of days ago. Took about 10 hours on the phone with 3 different " techs ".
Microsoft finally released a fix for the problem.
They removed the KB update ending in 355 that they had been trying to install over and over and over and over and it failed every time.
There was a corrupted update sent out ( probably only on certain servers which is why it didn't affect everyone ).
So far ... so good.

So is it safe to update now? I've yet to update my PC. I've held off because the data on there is a little more sensitive. Definitely going to back up before I attempt.

Devolver

well just to let you know, and anyone else who lurks. I rolled back to a restore point and lo and behold the option is back, and all is well.

which is unfortunate, as getting the updates is kind of important.

fonzman78

So is it safe to update now? I've yet to update my PC. I've held off because the data on there is a little more sensitive. Definitely going to back up before I attempt.

This is hard to answer. It looks like lots of folks have had problems updating. As for me, I've updated my Surface Pro 2, my Surface RT, and my Window desktop all without any issues. I just finished updating my friends desktop also without issues. I'm really liking that Metro apps can be minimized to the desktop. Those who like the desktop over the Start screen will be pleased.

ScottyS

. . . They removed the KB update ending in 355 that they had been trying to install over and over and over and over and it failed every time. . .

How did they do that? I got Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355) as Failed many times in All Control Panel Items/Windows Update/View update history but it is not listed in All Control Panel Items/Programs and Features/Installed Updates where I could remove it if it were there.

ScottyS

Microsoft finally released a fix for the problem.
They removed the KB update ending in 355 that they had been trying to install over and over and over and over and it failed every time.QUOTE]

How did they do that?
I have the same problem, Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355) keeps trying to be installed and fails. Error code 800700002.
I can't uninstall it because it isn't on my list of installed updates (I guess because it fails; a Catch-22).
I'd like a way to get it fixed. I don't want to reinstall the OS from scratch. Everything works so I don't want to refresh or restore back to factory state.