What's new

Master List - Things Surface RT Inexplicably Incapable of Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuspieds

The Surface RT does not allow for the installation of a different operating system. I'm going to keep including this in posts, and kristalsoldier can keep missing the point and responding with 'hey idiot! don't you know that the Surface RT does not allow for the installation of a different operating system? huh? idiot?'
Anyone who complains about not being able to install a particular OS is obviously not the typical consumer and is, therefore, at least somewhat computer literate.

Therefore, how in the world can such a person buy the Surface RT and complain that it doesn't allow the installation of iOS, Windows XP, Windows 8, Linux, etc.?!

Seriously, you and your post cannot be taken seriously.

ctitanic

Btw, dayot538 is a troll.

Exactly.

1st, if he want to open PDF almost instantly he needs a Surface 2 which is more than 3 times faster. A browser without any problems with flash, buy the Surface PRO... and I keep going point by point and all I see is a guy that bought the wrong device. I wonder if he has checked all his points against an iPad or an Android. Because they do not end to well from such comparison.

Talontsi90

It also doesn't play MPEG files, nor are there freely available programs rectify this.

Now let's look at this thread:

Beevel says I'm re-hashing the same old complaints. This means that MS has failed to fix problems that have been brought to their attention already; I assure you this is not a character defect on my part. He also got rid of his Surface RT because it wasn't working for him.

Daniielrp says that IE is 60-70% of a functioning browser. I agree. I didn't pay 60-70% of the price for this tablet, though.

kristalsoldier says that Office runs on the RT, which has nothing to do with my post. He suggests I write similar lists for devices that I don't own, which isn't very helpful.

hotphil believes that fully-functional web browsing and functional stability are 'niche' uses.

oion read my post and summed it up as a distaste for ARM. Actually, I'm not sure that he read my post - let's ignore that for now.

jnjroach believes I work for apple (what?) and the Android-loving press (what?) and that I'm afraid of the Surface gaining a market share (what?) and that I posted to the official MS support forums (presumably something very bad, like "How do I make IE display embedded PDFs rather than opening reader?"). No, no, no, and no I didn't. I did however phone them, and it took an hour and a half of humming and ha-ing for the very nice fellow I talked with to tell me it couldn't be done and I should return the device and buy something else.

Talontsi90 calls me a douche for posting legitimate grievances about a device that is sold by attaching several well-recognized trade names to an inferior product. I have no idea what he is talking about with respect to T9 and voice recognition. He suggests I learn new tricks.

The device is non-functional - it is capable of running a version of office correctly, but cannot handle the 20-year old technology of Flash with any consistency nor is it particularly stable. As for being a niche user, here is what I would like to use my device for:

-Web browsing (this includes library websites and other academic sites that use embedded flash and PDF technology, which is OLD, to display content).
-Word processing

In the absence of reliable built-in functionality, which is par for the course with everything MS does, there has traditionally been access to other programs which work as well as the MS programs dishonestly claim to. This is missing from the RT. If it cannot perform a simple task like web browsing properly, it really has no place on the shelves of any shop after 1995. I'm not sure why you're all so butthurt about this; I know for a fact that every flaw I have listed here is identically replicated on all of your RTs as well. If you have nothing constructive to contribute (do you know how to display embedded PDFS? No? I didn't think so), please sod off.

Well i still dont know why YOU are so butthurt over what seems to be a short circuit in the computer chair. PEBKAC or PICNIC applies....

Flash works fine for me and what 'word processing' do you want to do? Both the Metro and Desktop versions of IE are able to process port commands at the end of a web address like when i want to log into my router at home to administer port forwarding, something IE Mobile cant do on my Lumia 810. I consider myself a 'power user' as i do IT support professionally and on the side. I run my own web and email servers for myself and others, i build/program/install my computers as well. I chose the RT over the Pro because if i find something the RT cant do, then theres Internet Sharing and Remote Desktop Protocol (or RDP for the smart ones)

In regards to your "flash doesnt work" have you tried this? Make Adobe Flash Work on Microsoft Surface with Windows RT it was published 11 months before your uninformed post. However, i dont use the Compatibility Settings and it still works without hacking the whitelist.

trueremix

It doesn't appear the RT can even run it's own apps from the store.... ESPN will not play video and I can't even log into Flipboard or create an account. VERY frustrated.

kristalsoldier

It doesn't appear the RT can even run it's own apps from the store.... ESPN will not play video and I can't even log into Flipboard or create an account. VERY frustrated.

Don't know about ESPN, but I use Flipboard virtually everyday on my Surface 2 without any issues and yes, I do have an account with Flipboard. Don't really know why it won't work on your RT.

Talontsi90

I just installed the ESPN app to see what this dolt was blathering about and the first video i clicked on played. BTW it was the Winter Meetings one for baseball talking about a Red Sox player with a contract through 2019 in case you think im lying.

Any problems perceived for these devices i firmly believe is user error.

trueremix

Tried different accounts, refreshed surface, reset everything, shut off turned back on, uninstalled and reinstalled etc. Nothing has worked. It worked for me the first 2 days I got it and now for the past 3 or so it hasn't worked... I know how to use it. Having done what I've done I don't think you can say it is "user error" especially since I haven't done anything to the settings between the time it was working to now.

edit: and appreciate you calling me a "dolt" for no reason. we both own surface products no need to be so defensive of your mighty surface product. its already widely known to have many flaws. I actually gave it a chance instead of hating on what I've read.

Maybe they should learn to use it first...? :)

Maybe you should get off your high horse and remember that this is the same company that has released Xbox 360s with a failure rate of 54% and their latest Xbox One consoles with disk drive problems.

Last edited:

oion

Tried different accounts, refreshed surface, reset everything, shut off turned back on, uninstalled and reinstalled etc. Nothing has worked. It worked for me the first 2 days I got it and now for the past 3 or so it hasn't worked... I know how to use it. Having done what I've done I don't think you can say it is "user error" especially since I haven't done anything to the settings between the time it was working to now.

edit: and appreciate you calling me a "dolt" for no reason. we both own surface products no need to be so defensive of your mighty surface product. its already widely known to have many flaws. I actually gave it a chance instead of hating on what I've read.

Nope, it's because you worded it as "It doesn't appear the RT can even run it's own apps from the store," which is such a ridiculously generalized statement of fact that's patently false, hence no one (who owns a Surface) would take your complaint seriously--yes, just a complaint, because you didn't actually ask for help.

Between account issues and network issues (it's always possible a single network node/datacenter will cause problems between one geography versus another--see it all the time in MMOs) and whatever else, it's pretty difficult for regular users to troubleshoot individual app problems anyway. I mean, OP complained about some websites that the rest of us have demonstrated work fine in 8.1 IE (shouldn't matter if it's Surface RT or Surface 2 once both are updated to 8.1). You could try asking the official MS boards in case someone might know some super secret tip, but I'd expect app support should come from the app developer.

trueremix

except the way I worded it is commonly used colloquially to express insults or like you said, a complaint. its not meant to be taken literally word for word.

and the thread is basically about listing complaints

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.