What's new

Maybe Surface Book will give Microsoft a reason to fix scaling?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Those that are still having issues with scaling, are you mirroring or extending? I extend to two external monitors without any scaling issues, SP4 scales at 200%, 27" 4K does 150% and 24" 2k does 100%, I move windows back and forth and all adjust seamlessly across the different monitors.

Cimmerian

I am also extending, not mirroring. The monitor that I am not scaling (1080p monitor) is the one having issues after scaling the Surface Book display to 125%. So the 1080p display is still just at 100%, yet everything gets messed up.

Here are some screenshots:

Edit: Much easier to tell the difference if you right click each photo and open them in a new tab.

Before scaling
Before Scaling.PNG

After scaling
After Scaling.PNG

BearFlag

Does iTunes still look a bit fuzzy to you guys? Some of my programs still look fuzzy and there doesn't appear a way to solve it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK, sounds like the issues (fuzzy application fonts and elements) isn't Windows 10 Scaling, it is GDI Scaling related to Win32 Applications that are either legacy in nature or the ISV hasn't bothered to update their code....

Applications that use GDI Scaling can't be fixed by the OS, the only real fix is to disable Scaling for these Win32 Programs.

BTW - iTunes is still using GDI Scaling.

BearFlag

Applications that use GDI Scaling can't be fixed by the OS, the only real fix is to disable Scaling for these Win32 Programs.

But then the application/font will be way too small. iTunes looks fine on Macbooks with retina display. No scaling issues there.

Cimmerian

I'm trying my best not to sound unintelligent right now but how can apps not displaying correctly on a screen that is completely unscaled, running at default resolution, not be Windows 10's fault?

My friend has a mac and I plugged it into multiple monitors running all sorts of applications without any issues at all, as far as I know its the OS that makes that possible not the code in the applications themselves.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
But then the application/font will be way too small. iTunes looks fine on Macbooks with retina display. No scaling issues there.
Running OSX? If so, totally different code base, OSX uses Cocoa and is vector based like the newer scaling that Windows uses since Vista, but many kept backwards compatibility to XP in their applications and used GDI Scaling which bitmap based.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying my best not to sound unintelligent right now but how can apps not displaying correctly on a screen that is completely unscaled, running at default resolution, not be Windows 10's fault?

My friend has a mac and I plugged it into multiple monitors running all sorts of applications without any issues at all, as far as I know its the OS that makes that possible not the code in the applications themselves.
OSX doesn't offer any backwards compatibility to a time that their applications used bitmap based scaling (OS 9). Vista introduced Vector Scaling but was not backwards compatible with XP so many ISVs didn't update their code to support the newer scaling APIs. Google only updated Chrome about 4 months ago to fully support Vista Style Scaling.

flar

Which apps do you see the scaling problems on? (Never mind, I see now that you have screen shots above of the apps in question...)

Last edited:

flar

OSX doesn't offer any backwards compatibility to a time that their applications used bitmap based scaling (OS 9).

They do offer backwards compatibility to a time before they offered retina scaling, though, and applications that have never been updated to support the retina scaling are pixel stretched and blurry. It's just that they introduced the retina APIs so long ago that it is very hard to find an app that hasn't been updated. The migration path to becoming an app that supported the retina mechanism was also a little easier on the Mac which helped them get to near 100% compliance faster.

Cimmerian

I now better understand what you are saying, however I am still confused to why the applications are only getting messed up on the screen that isn't scaled. They look fine on the Surface Book's screen which is the one that is being up scaled, but horrible on the screen that nothing should be happening to. You can even tell in the photos that they shrunk, if anything you'd think they'd get larger with the other screen being up scaled and all.

ChrisPanzer

Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but the problem is still there: one must log OUT then log back IN before the scaling is performed, a huge inconvenience to say the least.

Just to see the icons and text at an acceptable level (and maintaining the monitor's native res) I have to scale to 300%, which is when things start looking 'normal' for me. Once I hook it up to my two 1920x1080 ViewSonic monitors, everything is MASSIVE to say the least, and I need to scale back DOWN to 150%. I also have a MacBook and the multi-monitor, on-the-fly independent scaling worked like a charm, no reason Win10 cant do the same if you ask me.

Only solution for me is what I and may others did with their SP3; download an old Intel gfx driver, where it allows you to set a custom resolution.