What's new

Merging the Surface Pro and the Surface Book

rjwerth

Wouldn't it just make sense for the Surface Pro 5 and the Surface Book 2 be the same thing? Really, I love my Surface Pro 3. I especially love the kickstand so that I can fold the keyboard up and have it take up much less surface area (no pun intended) on my counter. The only thing it really needs more than anything else right now is a performance keyboard with dedicated graphics and a bigger battery to power it. So why not make one for the new Surface and not do a Book at all? Seems like that would be the most innovative thing yet....and no wacky hinge.

toaf

I at least hope they make a powered keyboard again. my SP2 with that keyboard has a GREAT battery life. my SP4 just has an ok battery life. I would LOVE to have a power base like the books have on my surface pro. without the full tablet, I feel the book isn't what I want.

Orlbuckeye

Well basically MS make the Pro and a tablet that can be a laptop (adding the keyboard) and the Book is a laptop that can be a tablet. They both have a niche. I in fact went to look at the Surface Pro 4 when it came out and left the store wanting the Book mainly because the keyboard being sold separate brought the price closer to the Book. I don't see them combining the 2.

toaf

the books "note pad" needs is a USB on it. then I think it could be as useable as a surface pro undocked. I could be wrong. but that's what has kept me from even thinking about getting a book.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
the books "note pad" needs is a USB on it. then I think it could be as useable as a surface pro undocked. I could be wrong. but that's what has kept me from even thinking about getting a book.

Kickstand is a pretty significant feature. That was one of the huge selling points of the surface. No need to go and buy one of these naff looking flimsy tablet cases that turns your sleek tablet into a big ol lump.

Orlbuckeye

Well I use my SB as a tablet most of the time with the keyboard flipped to get better battery life. The SB is best suited for be used as a laptop most of the time and the SB Pro is better suited as a tablet.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I use my SB as a tablet most of the time with the keyboard flipped to get better battery life. The SB is best suited for be used as a laptop most of the time and the SB Pro is better suited as a tablet.

I think you're correct in this. Surface pro is a tablet that can be a laptop, while the book is a laptop that can be a tablet.

Although I have to admit, other than for inking in onenote, I do not like using my SP4 as a tablet all that much, it is just too large to be comfortable, especially if used in portrait mode for reading. The S3 is far superior as a tablet in my opinion. I'd love to see MS release a successor to the S3.