What's new

Metro IE 10 = 64 bit

Arizona Willie

I was trying to get the 64 bit version of IE10 to run by clicking on iexplore.exe in c:/program files/Internet Explorer but that runs the 32 bit version just the same as clicking on iexplore.exe in c:/program files(x86)/Internet Explorer.

That had me puzzled. Couldn't figure out why clicking on a program in the 64bit directory would run a 32 bit program.
I'm still puzzled about that.

But, on the Microsoft answers forum they said that the Metro version is 64 bit but didn't explain why clicking on a program in the 64 bit program directory runs a 32 bit program. But I didn't specifically ask that question.

I only asked how to FORCE the 64 bit version of IE10 to run.
And the answer to that is simply to run the Metro version.

Which is very disappointing because the Metro version is soooo uuuuugggglllyyy. And nowhere near as useful or easy to use as the regular IE10.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Willie, I am so confused on what you are trying to do lol. I thought you were trying to get Metro IE back because you had made Chrome the default and that took it away. So you don't like Metro IE after all? Is there some sort of 32/64 bit issue you are running into that you need to force one mode or the other?

bosamar

I favor the Modern UI (Metro) browser. I actually wouldn't mind if Microsoft dumped the Desktop on RT but I'm sure that will not happen anytime soon.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I favor the Modern UI (Metro) browser. I actually wouldn't mind if Microsoft dumped the Desktop on RT but I'm sure that will not happen anytime soon.

I think the biggest issue is that the desktop supports all the legacy stuff, plug-ins, etc. It is also not sand boxed like Modern IE. Eventually they will probably merge but for now I think eliminating desktop IE would break things for a lot of users resulting in the two different IEs. MS is far less able to drop legacy support than Google or Apple and almost always has at least one foot stuck in the past :)

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

No, I had multiple issues. My IE would not load links from that one newspaper site and, per your suggestion, the solution was to reset IE10 back to defaults.

Seperately from that issue I was trying to get the iexplore.exe in the 64 bit program directory to run.

I thought that if I clicked on that program I should see the 64bit IE10, and somewhere I read that in the ABOUT it would say 64 bit but I could never get IE10 to say that.
No matter which Program Files directory I ran iexplore.exe from I got the same program.

So I asked there about how to FORCE the 64 bit version and that's when they said that was Metro IE10.
So, if I wanted to run a 64 bit version of Internet Explorer, I would have to make Internet Explorer my default brower or else you are limited to running the 32 bit version.

Just more of Microsoft forcing people to use products. Trying to keep us from using other browsers.

But, other than the one actual problem, no there is no especial issue. Just me trying things. :)

Willie, I am so confused on what you are trying to do lol. I thought you were trying to get Metro IE back because you had made Chrome the default and that took it away. So you don't like Metro IE after all? Is there some sort of 32/64 bit issue you are running into that you need to force one mode or the other?

Last edited:

Russ

I favor the Modern UI (Metro) browser.

Bosamar --

I don't favor it, and I am assuredly not change-averse. You're a smart guy, so that makes me suspect that I'm missing something.

What do you favor about it?

Thanks,
Russ

LinkRS

Hi Arizona Willie,

It seems with Windows 8, Microsoft has done something different with IE 10 than in the past. From what I could dig up, the IE "frame" or primary process always runs in 64-bit mode in Windows 8. However, by default, the desktop mode opens 32-bit tabs, and the Modern version opens 64-bit tabs. This appears to have been done for plug-in compatibility. This website has instructions on how to force the desktop version to open 64-bit tabs: Want to run 64-bit Internet Explorer on Windows 8's desktop? Here is how -. You can verify that the IE program is 64-bit by looking in the task manager. All 32-bit programs are marked as such in there. It seems that even when IE is running 32-bit tabs (default in desktop), the process itself is 64-bit. Hope this helps :)

Rich S.

bosamar

What do you favor about it?
What I believe I like the most about it is that it keeps me in the Modern RT interface. All of my favorite websites are pinned to my start screen. Swipe from the top and its just like tabs. Swipe from the bottom and you can get all of your pinned favorites. IT'S MADE FOR TOUCH, unlike the Desktop browser.

bosamar

Russ - Here is part of my start screen, I've got several websites pinned which I call my morning read. IMO you should setup about ten on your start screen and try the browser this way. A few are apps. Screenshot (30).png

Russ

IT'S MADE FOR TOUCH, unlike the Desktop browser.

Bosamar --

Thanks. I will set up a few of my favorite sites on the start screen of my Pro. I like that idea.

Most of my computer time is spent on one of my desktops where touch is not an issue.

Take care,
Russ