What's new

Metro IE extensions

Kris

I am really trying to use Metro IE but one of the things I require of any browser is extensions that stop ads, stops youtube ads, and makes youtube always play videos at the highest resolution, there area few other things but I can live without them. Every extension I have looked up either doesn't work at all, or specifically says it does not work in metro mode. Am I missing the magical site of working extensions or do they just not exist.

benjitek

Your choices are very limited extension-wise with IE -- sounds like you've found all there is to learn in that area. Personally, I use IE when I run into a site that won't run video with ad blocking in place, like CNET videos -- it's easier than temporarily disabling AdBlock in Chrome.

Liam2349

You can get adblock for desktop IE.

It doesn't work in Metro, but the next best thing is to go to Charms, settings, privacy and click the link to add tracking protection lists.

I use the top two and they remove some ads but not youtube ones.

malberttoo

I am really trying to use Metro IE but one of the things I require of any browser is extensions that stop ads, stops youtube ads, and makes youtube always play videos at the highest resolution, there area few other things but I can live without them. Every extension I have looked up either doesn't work at all, or specifically says it does not work in metro mode. Am I missing the magical site of working extensions or do they just not exist.

Kris, follow the instructions in Frank's (@ctitanic) post here- http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/does-your-surface-get-hot-just-browsing.10700/#post-79434

You do this in Desktop IE, but the EasyList part you may recognize- it's the main list for AdBlocker Plus. Anyways do this in Desktop IE, and it will also work in Metro. I am happily surfing in Metro now ad-free.

OP
K

Kris

will those prevent youtube ads?
still missing youtube extensions... youtube center is my favorite extension on firefox but specifically says will not work in metro mode. I might be stuck using Firefox and Chrome until something changes.

raqball

I am also trying to like metro IE but I keep going back to using desktop IE. The are several things I like about metro IE and several annoyances as well. The same can be said for the desktop version.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am also trying to like metro IE but I keep going back to using desktop IE. The are several things I like about metro IE and several annoyances as well. The same can be said for the desktop version.
Speaking of annoyances Google like to tout their clean or minimalist view in Chrome.. which to me means I have to find things through several layers of subterranean menus that should be right there with one click access. and yet Google insists on installing its own toolbar in IE though multiple nefarious means. freaking schizophrenic!

ctitanic

To me that's the beauty of it!:cool: