What's new

Metro-style Office for Win RT/ Surface RT

J515OP

Super Moderator
Still just a rumor but a stronger one ;)

Personally it makes no difference to me at all. I don't intend on using Outlook on my RT as it is more than I need on that particular device. Same goes for MUI versions of Office apps. Office works just fine from the desktop so I don't have any urgent need for the same apps in another format. I would like more improvements to the mail app (or a mail only light version of Outlook maybe like Outlook.com) and other core apps provided by MS. Mail, Music, Photos, etc. could all be better.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I agree with you on Outlook if MS upgrades the Mail app significantly. But the other Office elements in Metro would be cool. I'd really like to get rid of the desktop on the RT. Like you I would also rely on my desktop machine but having the Metro versions on the RT would be nice!

J515OP

Super Moderator
I'd really like to get rid of the desktop on the RT. Like you I would also rely on my desktop machine but having the Metro versions on the RT would be nice!

Slight misunderstanding, not a desktop machine for Office, Office on RT desktop. I can see why you and others want the MUI versions if you want to get rid of RT desktop but I don't have any issues with RT desktop and like having my "traditional" Windows (literally with windows ;)) on my RT.

JP :D

Edit: Can't do this with apps even after Blue fixes screen sharing. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...on/390-post-screenshots-here-4.html#post14347

Last edited:

Rvacha

Mail is OK, but it doesn't directly support POP accounts (you can mostly accomplish this by configuration at Outlook.com but I am not happy with it) and it doesn't support pst data stores. I sync an Outlook pst across three machines (one being the SP) which is great for me, but Outlook 15 isn't very touch friendly even in touch mode. I would PAY for Outlook RT on the SP if MS would let me :)

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Slight misunderstanding, not a desktop machine for Office, Office on RT desktop. I can see why you and others want the MUI versions if you want to get rid of RT desktop but I don't have any issues with RT desktop and like having my "traditional" Windows (literally with windows ;)) on my RT.

JP :D

Edit: Can't do this with apps even after Blue fixes screen sharing. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...on/390-post-screenshots-here-4.html#post14347

Oh...sorry. I see what you mean. Re: Screen shot...At the max I would need to use 3 apps simultaneously - Word, Powerpoint or Excel, and a PDF reader. The thing is I'd like to have the Metro version of OneNote open at the same time too - all on the Surface RT screen, if possible and certainly on my two or three monitor set up when I am working at my desk.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Mail is OK, but it doesn't directly support POP accounts (you can mostly accomplish this by configuration at Outlook.com but I am not happy with it) and it doesn't support pst data stores. I sync an Outlook pst across three machines (one being the SP) which is great for me, but Outlook 15 isn't very touch friendly even in touch mode. I would PAY for Outlook RT on the SP if MS would let me :)

I'm afraid, even after the recent updates, the Mail app is not very good - at least for my purposes. It still needs some work and needs a more direct/ intimate connection to the Calendar.