What's new

Metro UI Photo App not seeing SDCard Photo Library?

mitchellvii

I set up a Photos Folder and mounted it as a Library on my SDCard. The MetroUI Photo App recognizes all of the Library Photo Folders but they are all empty. I put a folder in my Users Photo File just to make sure it was working and the app does see those.

Is this just a bug or is there some way new can make this work? Sees folder, no photos.

* I set up the SDCard files as a Library by formatting it as NTSF then adding folder to my C Drive and then linking the SDCard as a Library. I also attempted to setup My Pictures in the User Folder as a symbolic link pointing to the SDCard but again no joy.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Use mounted volumes
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Thanks. Yes I am using a mounted volume. Isn't working. I've read all the online articles. This should work but it doesn't.

** I even indexed the SDCard which others have said solves the problem. Still nothing. This is confusing. I am doing what everyone else says works:

1) Set up SDCard as NTFS.
2) Indexed SDCard.
3) Mounted to SDCard Folder using Computer Management.
4) Added folders to Libraries and they are listed properly.

But it Music and Pictures apps they see NOTHING. This seems to work for everyone else. What am I missing? Going to try restoring to defaults and redoing.

Last edited:

ArnoldC

Thanks. Yes I am using a mounted volume. Isn't working. I've read all the online articles. This should work but it doesn't.
<snip>

No you are not based on your description. You just said you are using symolic links, that is *not* mounted volumes.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

No you are not based on your description. You just said you are using symolic links, that is *not* mounted volumes.

Did you read all of my comments or just the final sentence of my first one? I said I tried symbolic links and it did not work. If you had read the rest of what I said you would have seen that I quite clearly mounted the drive.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you run all of the Updates for the core Apps from the Store? What you describe was common in early iterations of the Core Apps.

ArnoldC

Did you read all of my comments or just the final sentence of my first one? I said I tried symbolic links and it did not work. If you had read the rest of what I said you would have seen that I quite clearly mounted the drive.

Of course, and yet the problem you describe here

Sees folder, no photos.

only manifests with symbolic links, not mounted volumes.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I formatted my sdcard as NTFS. I then added a file to my C Drive called "SDCard". I then went into Computer Management and changed the drive letter to the "SDCard" Folder. If I right click on that folder it gives me the option to "unmount" so I assume that means it is mounted. I then added the Music/Pictures folder in the mounted folder to the appropriate libraries.

Based upon about 5 websites I reviewed this is exactly how you do this. Except it doesn't work.

Stop with the symbolic links. I am not using symbolic links. Also these are brand new copies of the apps in question.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you mean updated apps vs. Brand New...that points to using the mounted volume, those of us that use Symbolic Links are not having this issue...

Sit

I seem to remember similar problems until I inserted an additional folder on the sd card. So on the sdcard I have two folders, sd_card_pictures\photos_sdcard
Then I have a folder for each similar grouping of picture.
sd_cardshare is on the root of c drive and shared with the pictured library.

On c drive I see.... C:\SD_CardShare\SD_Card_Pictures\Photos_SDCard
In the pictures lib I see starting at sd_card_pictures
The app picks up all my sd card pictures.
I think that's how I did it.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

If I just create a symbolic link from my C drive music folder to the SDCard music folder and then try to add it to my music library I get an error message saying I can't add a removable drive to a library. How are you getting past that error?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok I just redid my symbolic links. I tried to add them to the libraries and got an error message as stated above. But then I realized they were already linked from the original folders so I opened the music app and there it was. So yay!

I guess it would have worked the first time I just got thrown off b the error message.