What's new

Metro UI Photo App not seeing SDCard Photo Library?

ArnoldC

There is a very long story behind this. For someone who has been using index sevice and mounted volumes since they became available, I'd say it's not the application.

Having said that, if you have time to burn, download and feel around the Photobucket application, but concentrate on the photos in your local folders.

I don't want to confuse you even further, but just have a look.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I re indexed and the Photo app is still showing the damned folders I deleted 4 hours ago. Seriously WTF? What kind of app displays non existent files and won't let you clean them up? It is crap like this that makes the Metro UI apps such utter fail for me.

Would symbolic links be better? This doesn't seems to be working very well.

bertopl

I noticed this too. it was actually quicker for me to just uninstall the metro photo app and reinstall and it will read the changes properly. lame I know, but it works for me and is probably faster to do than re-indexing since the app is so small and you can easily reinstall from the windows store.

bertopl

Ok update. Tried exFAT and that seemed to do the trick on my Photos and Music so yay! Using the mounting method now and SDCard is happily holding all my libraries.

Ok, now here's the problem. I deleted some folders in my Pictures folder on my SDcard, but when I opened the Photo app the folders were STILL THERE? WTF? How can it be seeing something which does not exist? There doesn't seem to be any way to refresh the folders or delete folders within the Photos app. As with most of the Windows 8 Metro apps the user basically has no control over much of anything. Someone tell MS this sucks please. Stop trying to be Apple.

that's great that you got it working!! I didn't think exFAT would make a difference but as long as it works, right? :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I noticed this too. it was actually quicker for me to just uninstall the metro photo app and reinstall and it will read the changes properly. lame I know, but it works for me and is probably faster to do than re-indexing since the app is so small and you can easily reinstall from the windows store.

That's why I call it Metro ES because every damned thing you want to do takes an Extra Step.