What's new

Micro SD card dismounting

damstr

Alright so I see that this is an on going problem with the SD cards not staying connected to the Surface.

I refuse to believe that this is a hardware issue. I say that because when the SD card does disappear, if I go to disk management I can still see the card albeit no info is available for it.

Also when the card disappears, when I eject it Windows makes a noise letting me know something was disconnected/removed. If the card somehow wasn't making good contact it wouldn't be showing up in Windows at all. It would either show up or it wouldn't.

The Micro SD card is a SanDisk 128GB. I heard some people tried to put electrical tape on the card to make the contacts press together but it didn't do the trick for me. This is obviously a software problem.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
SanDisk has had a reputation of making their SD cards a bit thinner and we've seen this before with them.

OP
D

damstr

SanDisk has had a reputation of making their SD cards a bit thinner and we've seen this before with them.
Like I said in my original post I don't think this is a hardware issue as I can still see the card in disk management when it disappears from "This PC."

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
it was the same symptoms in the previous versions as well you could see it but it was dismounted. I fixed my card with a bit of clear tape that way it didn't lose contact with the device.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One small piece just enough to go around the card to give it a bit more girth and make sure you don't cover any contacts.

If it is still dismounting, try a different card, if it does it still you may have an issue with the Card Reader.

phey_05

I tried to put one layer of tape at a time to test it, (from 1 to 3), still the same result.
I place back my 64gb on SP3 to test and the 128gb to my dell computer to compare.

ill post the result tomorrow

phey_05

Here you go;

sandisk 64GB on SP3; no problem encountered so far after 15 hours test, 10 times standby (log on/ log off)

sandisk 128GB on DELL laptop; no problem encountered so far after 15 hours test, 3 times standby (log on/ log off)

makes me think SP3 cannot support high capacity microSD. I also noticed that when you place a tape on 128gb microSD it improves a little bit until you put about 10gb of data on it and it starts unmounting again.

note: this is just my observations...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know that 128GB Cards work in the SP3, but I have also noticed depending on the brand of the card reader, moving cards from one machine to another can have unforeseen complications....

drolem

Like I said in my original post I don't think this is a hardware issue as I can still see the card in disk management when it disappears from "This PC."
Just try a different uSD card -- if the other one works, the issue is most likely with the card.

phey_05

I know that 128GB Cards work in the SP3, but I have also noticed depending on the brand of the card reader, moving cards from one machine to another can have unforeseen complications....

I agree that 128gb card works with SP3 but the problem is that it keeps on dismounting, you have to re insert the card to be able to use it.

Before sending it back to Amazon, i made sure that i made a series of test again, I reformatted the microSD (not quick), here’s what i found;

> 12 hours after slow reformat; not dismounting without any data , 5 log on/off/standby
> with 2 gb of data, after 13 hours, still not dismounting, 3 log on/off/standby
> with 4 gb of data, after 14 hours, still not dismounting, 3 log on/off/standby
> with 6 gb of data, after 15 hours, problem exist again... 1 log on/off/standby and it is dismounting

After my test yesterday, I did not transfer the microSD card to a different computer just to isolate the theory of moving cards from one machine to another can have unforeseen complications.

@jnjroach, is your 128gb microSD card, never have this dismounting issue at all?

phey_05

On this review he also mention about the dismounting issue...

I'm really confused not if i have to return the card or just leave with it...