What's new

Micro SD Card Slot Not Working

Hstakz

Whenever I try to insert a micro SD card into my new surface rt it wont recognize it unless im forcing it farther in then what the device holds it at. (i guess the best way to describe it is, when your taking your sd card in or out, the farthest you push in the sd card is only when mine get read.) PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!!!!!!!
I have tried 2 other micro sd cards and I get the same problem!
All advice will be much appreciated:)

ArnoldC

Is it in the right direction? Rib up? It is spring-loaded so you have to push it all the way in and it will lock.

OP
H

Hstakz

Is it in the right direction? Rib up? It is spring-loaded so you have to push it all the way in and it will lock.

Yes Arnold it is the right way up and I pushed it in and locked but it doesn't get recognized. Only if im taking out or inserting the card and I push it right it and hold it there it will recognize. But the second I let go it will disappear of file explorer.

ArnoldC

Perhaps it's not engaging the spring load properly. Insert it fully untils it stops, then release. It should hold its place.

ps.

I've experienced similar problems with generic SD cards, some of them are thinner by a bit and that causes the problem.

Last edited:

0rca

I was searching for the exact same problem and just registered to add to this. First I thought my RT wasn't recognizing any SD cards until I read the above and sure enough, pushing in the SD crad makes my RT recognize it.
I've tested this with 3 different cards from Kingston and SanDisk, it's the same with all of them. So it seems there might be a mechanical problem with some of the RTs.

When I push in my SD card very slowly and release it even slower, it stays mounted. But I guess that will change the second I move the RT around. So, MS, what now?

dhedge65

Hey Hstakz, I had this exact problem with a Surface RT. Took it back to the Microsoft store and they replaced it right away. If you have one close to you then I suggest going there and showing them the problem. It is something inside the slot that is bent and not reading the card correctly.

azfords

All, I had the same thing happen to me. If you are unable to get to the store to have your Surface replaced or you just don't want to bother, I have a workaround for you. Simply take an ordinary sheet of printer/copier paper and cut a small piece off of it (.25" x 1"). Hold the piece of paper on the back (non connector) side of the SD card when inserting it into your surface. Now you should have access to your SD card. Apparently there are issues with the connectors on some RT units. This is a simple workaround that can save you some headaches. WARNING: Do not cut the paper so short that when you insert it, it is not visible. It may become lodged in the slot and make it unusable. The 1" length gives you the ability to remove it at will. You can trim it down once you've got it working, but make sure to leave at least an 1/8" showing for removal purposes.

Good luck.

pallentx

I had intermittent connection with my SanDisk Ultra card. I replaced it with a Samsung card and the issue went away.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I wrapped some tape around the Sandisk SD card and now works perfect, I think they may be a bit thinner than the spec...

mitchellvii

I wrapped some tape around the Sandisk SD card and now works perfect, I think they may be a bit thinner than the spec...

If you do this make sure the tape has a little piece that sticks out of the slot to pull the card if it gets stuck in there.