What's new

micro sd questions

razzta01

Hi,
I want to buy a new microsd card for my sp3. It should be as fast as posible (read and write).
I have read Sandisk Extreme Pro or Samsung Pro + should be fast enough (up to 95 MB/s and write at up to 90 MB/s. ).
My questions are:
-which are the fastest microsd cards atm with 64Gb or 128Gb capacity (read and write speeds are both important to me since it is going to be my data disk)..any links to reviews would be great!
-I have seen most 128Gb microsd cards are labeled as sdXC (and I read they can only be formatted as exFAT). I read it while surfing the web, so I want to ask if it is really like that? Or can I format a micro sdXC-card as NTFS too and just handle it as a normal hard drive?
Pls, let me know what you think based on your previous experience with such cards and SP3.
Rgds.

OP
R

razzta01

Noy anyone sharing its experience with 64GB/128GB microSD cards (formatted as exfat) and SP3?
Any other format they can be formatted to and that works withs SP3 and win8.1?
Any issues (i.e. waking up SP3 out of hibernation)?
Write-read performance?
Rgds.

DLCPhoto

This isn't a complete answer to your question, but I initially purchased a Lexar 633x 128gb MicroSD card for my Surface 3 (not SP3). It worked fine initially, but after a while, it kept disappearing from the Operating System, and would have to be removed and reinserted to be re-recognized.

I did some research on this, and found this isn't an unusual problem, although trying to determine if it's a type of card, a size issue, a model issue, etc., is difficult. One other user found the same problem with the same Lexar card.

I replaced mine with the SanDisk Ultra 128gb card. Theoretically, not as fast, but it's rock solid stable.

Haven't done any performance testing, so can't help you out there. I think you can reformat to NTFS, but am not certain as to the advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

OP
R

razzta01

Hi, thx for sharing your experience. After much reading I decided to go fot the new mini-external SSD´s. Better in all aspects. And size is not so bad.
Rgds.

OP
R

razzta01

Edit: Also bought Samsung pro 64gb. It is working perfect since first day. No need to format it. Just plug and play. Regarding usual office day tasks, it is faster than my usb3.0 stick I was using before.

I have both the Lexar 128GB and the Samsung Pro 64. I had the same issue with the Lexar in the 128GB in the S3 I gave to my daughter for school but did not have the same issue with the SP3. The Samsung Pro 64 has been perfect on both the S3 and the SP3.

CrippsCorner

This isn't a complete answer to your question, but I initially purchased a Lexar 633x 128gb MicroSD card for my Surface 3 (not SP3). It worked fine initially, but after a while, it kept disappearing from the Operating System, and would have to be removed and reinserted to be re-recognized.

I did some research on this, and found this isn't an unusual problem, although trying to determine if it's a type of card, a size issue, a model issue, etc., is difficult. One other user found the same problem with the same Lexar card.

I replaced mine with the SanDisk Ultra 128gb card. Theoretically, not as fast, but it's rock solid stable.

Haven't done any performance testing, so can't help you out there. I think you can reformat to NTFS, but am not certain as to the advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

I recently bought the same SanDisk and I'd say it's not recognised after booting up my Surface roughly 2/3's of the time :( my old 64Gb SanDisk occasionally did the same, but it was much more stable. I seem to remember (for some strange reason) even that card used to be much worse, and gradually got better over time lol... hoping for the same result this time!

DLCPhoto

I recently bought the same SanDisk and I'd say it's not recognised after booting up my Surface roughly 2/3's of the time :( my old 64Gb SanDisk occasionally did the same, but it was much more stable. I seem to remember (for some strange reason) even that card used to be much worse, and gradually got better over time lol... hoping for the same result this time!

Crazy - the lack of consistency makes this pretty hard to trouble-shoot!