What's new

Micro SD Support on RT???

cheath

I'm trying to figure out if I need to shell out for 64g model RT. The specs I have found online for Surface RT and Pro are vague at best. I have tried to educate myself on SD formats and I'm even more confused now. I know there is a difference between SD, SDHC and SDXC as far as storage capacity and format, but does the card reader and/or software for Surface RT limit sd card size? I assume that PRO version will read micro SDXC of 64g but will RT only read micro SD and 32g. My phones will support 32g but that's the limit, at least according to specs. If I don't understand the SD formats I apologize, but does anybody know or are we all waiting on more info?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Generally devices these days only officially support 32GB cards but in reality the hardware supports 64GB and possibly 128GB as well. Of course it is a bit of a gamble to buy hardware on that basis. More and more people have been trying modern phones and tablets with larger and larger capacity cards though and for the most part everything works.

SD card <= 2GB
SDHC is 4GB to 32GB
SDXC > 32GB

Since the Surface hardware isn't out yet nobody knows for sure but based on test results of current devices they should support 64GB cards.

Last edited:

D.T. Rose

Not sure if the original poster still needs assistance with this question, but according to the Microsoft Surface's product page, the RT will support microSDXC.

GSOgymrat

Not sure if the original poster still needs assistance with this question, but according to the Microsoft Surface's product page, the RT will support microSDXC.

That is disappointing since most cameras take regular size SD cards. My iPad has an SD card adapter but I have a tendency to forget to bring it on trips. I was hoping I could just pop the card into the Surface without remembering an adapter or cable.

J515OP

Super Moderator
That is disappointing since most cameras take regular size SD cards. My iPad has an SD card adapter but I have a tendency to forget to bring it on trips. I was hoping I could just pop the card into the Surface without remembering an adapter or cable.

Micro SD is truly the way of the future though as more devices are trending this way. You have two easy solutions though. 1 You can use a usb micro SD reader since there is a USB port. 2 You can use a micro SD card in an SD card adapter in your standard SD device. Pop the SD card out of the camera and the micro out of that and then insert into your micro SD card slot. One card for two devices no dongles, just the SD card adapter. I have done this and it worked great. Many micro sd cards come in kits with these options.

Kingston-8GB-MicroSD-Mobility-Kit.jpg

dccorona

Officially, the surface RT supports micro SDXC up to 64gb in size. I believe that means it should, in theory, support 128gb as well, but on the surface website it says "up to 64gb"

J515OP

Super Moderator
This means all micro SD cards fro 0GB to 64GB are officially supported, backward compatibility is included in the standard (SD and SDHC). It is possible that even larger sizes are supported as well but that will have to be tested on the actual tablets and when larger cards become available.

Br1an_g

i got a 64Gb SDXC class 10 card for £40, bit dissapointed that you wont be able to install apps to it though. :(

agentbb007

Like J515OP said, Tablet specs say it supports Micro SDXC and thus should be backward compatible with Micro SDHC and Micro SD cards.

BB