What's new

Micro SD Support on RT???

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
So are there any issues with this method, as mentioned with the method i posted in the faq?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
I've just set this up and i kinda worked, but i had a crash with xbox-msuic after downloading an album. So i just have an eye on this. If this turns out to be a stable solution (and the crash was just this .... xboxmusic), i'll edit the faq, and i could ceep he 32GB-version instead of the one with 64GB.

wilbur4321

Get the 64gb device. Even without media storage there's not a lot of space left on 32gb :(

--randy

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Kinda depends on your behavior. I'm running two account on my 32GB, and yes there are 2 GB gone, but as long as the apps being around 50mb, I will have a hard time to get the remaining 13 full. But in long terms, maybe 64 is the better number ;)

Omni

So have people managed to get the 64gb sd cards working ok then? Im going to order one soon but would much prefer to get a 64gb to a 32gb. Don't want write problems.

MikeSD

Get the 64gb device. Even without media storage there's not a lot of space left on 32gb :(

--randy

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

Exactly. Why get a 32G, when 64G is available. Sure its cheaper But you are buying less capability. I have 64G and can add another 64G. It was a no brainer to me.

This is a new device. Who knows what SW and FW changes might come. But if one buys 32G, they are stuck with that.

Last edited:

whyjoe

I had no trouble at all with the class 10 sandisk 64gb card I got. Also, rather just adding the mapped SD folders to the libraries, I MOVED the entire main documents, videos, pictures, and downloads special folders into the mapped SD folder. This means that all my media will be stored on the SD card (which sounds fine to me), and it seems to be a less buggy solution that using the libraries split between the two destinations. This is the same technique you'd use on Windows 7/8 to relocate your Documents, Videos special folders to a different drive.

You can right click on the special folder, choose Location and pick move-- or, you can actually just drag the folders and Windows will take care of the back-end automatically.

This has worked pretty well for me, although I haven't been testing it for more than a day.

As an aside, I really dont see the point of being iconoclastic about 32 vs 64 internal. Both are on the market, and the SD card issues need figuring out one way or the other.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Since i have to make a decision between 64 and 32Gb here's a problem i'm asking you to follow up: When i'm playing files (esp. music) from my card (linked with the method by radicus) and the surface changing to connected standby/screen turns of, every app stutters or completely stops playing. The only workaround (for using the sd-card) with a 80% reliability is streaming via play-to.
Playing from internal memory or a usb-drive is no problem.

Is anynone else having this problem?

Last edited: