What's new

Microcenter getting a special "batch" of i5 128GB tablets, is MS trying to make fools of customers?

slingxshot

So on black Friday I bought the i5 128GB from Microcenter for $799. I come home and do some benchmarks noticed that the write speeds are about 3X slower than it should. Do some research and find that the Tablet has a Samsung SSD instead of Hynix SSD. I call a local Microsoft store and verify with a technician that all the tablets they have in the store have a Hynix SSD. This is extremely frustrating because Microsoft is swapping different SSDs with huge performance difference without letting customers know.

So then I thought about. Microcenter was the only store that had the Tablet for $799. Amazon, Best Buy, MS Store, etc, etc all had it for $899 on Black Friday. It makes sense. So what I did is request a replacement tablet under warranty. The replacement is coming tomorrow and will let you guys what I find. This is just frustrating and I had to get this out and let people know. Anyone who got the Surface from Microcenter, check and verify the SSD you have peaks at 100-130MB/s for write. The Hynix SSD has write speeds above 300MB/s. I use AS SSD benchmark.

Here is a review unit with a Hynix 128GB SSD (not Samsung) : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-3-Tablet-Review.122170.0.html

UPDATE:

I got a replacement unit under warranty. Same tablet. So I booted it went through the setup nothing interesting there, the only thing I noticed is that the final set up was a lot faster. Right away went into Device manager, and see the Hynix Drive. Benchmarked get the expected results, I got 306MB/s sequential write :) previously I was peaking at 130MB/s.

Last edited:

Kif

I don't see how Microcenter has anything to do with it. The SP3 is fully a Microsoft product . I'm surprised a Microsoft employee would confirm they use one brand component or another. It's very common for vendors to multi-source internal components. This has been true for a very long time. You would expect a similar performance across the board. I wonder if the bench marking tool is not optimized for the Samsung SSD. Synthetic benchmarking tools can be inaccurate. I'm only saying that we shouldn't rush to judgement. Good luck on your replacement.

Last edited:

StevenPoon

My SP3 is using Samsung SSD, my seq read: 492.24 write: 356.26 with bitlocker off.
IMG_3899.JPG

bluegrass

Is Microsoft trying to make fools of customers?

No I think a lot of their customers are already fools. Why not unpack your Surface and start enjoying it rather than investigating what the internals are and downloading and running benchmarks. I purchased mine the day it became available and don't have any idea what drive is in it & could care less. I amazed at how many people dig their own grave when it comes to using and enjoying one of the best technical innovations of this decade.

Kif

Listed below is a blurb from Anandtech review. I'm still really bummed that he was assimilated by Apple.

Just like in previous designs, Surface Pro 3 integrates a SATA SSD (likely M.2 this time). In this case Microsoft uses an OEM version of Samsung's SSD 840 EVO, a 3-bit-per-cell MLC design that we've found to be a pretty good value. I am disappointed we didn't see a move to PCIe storage but for general use I doubt there's much value in it. PCMark 8 v2's storage test isn't particularly stressful but it does show that Surface Pro 3's SSD is at least competitive with its predecessor and the MBA despite moving to TLC NAND.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8077/microsoft-surface-pro-3-review/6

No I think a lot of their customers are already fools. Why not unpack your Surface and start enjoying it rather than investigating what the internals are and downloading and running benchmarks. I purchased mine the day it became available and don't have any idea what drive is in it & could care less. I amazed at how many people dig their own grave when it comes to using and enjoying one of the best technical innovations of this decade.

This. I hate reading forums sometimes because when I read things people post things like this, it makes others think they have the same problem.

I am still impressed with my Sp3 and it is fastest computer I have ever owned. Even faster that my 2012 i7 Mac Mini.

I bet the OP gets his new computer and it too has a Samsung SSD. I'm glad mine has a Samsung instead of that other brand that I never heard of.

OP
S

slingxshot

What are you talking about. I have a Surface Pro 2 with 3X the write speeds (128GB) Second of all I could tell the speed difference right away from my Pro 2 and Pro 3. It took three times longer to do the windows updates and install application. I also did a unzipping a rar file test and it was 3X slower. I understand 10-20% performance hit, but 300%. You are crazy to tell me this is okay.

I have been benchmarking hard drives and SSDs past 15 years. I know exactly how those numbers reflect Windows performance. When Hard Drives were around people would pay 300$ extra for a Raptor drive just to get additional 30-40MB/s, may be 30% more performance. I am talking about something that is within 300% performance.