What's new

Microcenter getting a special "batch" of i5 128GB tablets, is MS trying to make fools of customers?

OP
S

slingxshot

Test got slightly better after rebooting.

View attachment 4615

as-ssd.png

128GB Surface Pro 3 duhh from this review: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-3-Tablet-Review.122170.0.html

Kif

I think your fine saying I purchased a SP3 and it's SSD is benchmarking slow. Now step 2 is to figure out why. Is it a bad driver, bench marking tool, defective hardware, model type, software conflict, etc... We're a long way from concluding it related to particular SDD model or that Microcenter is selling an inferior type of SP3.

Try the old wipe \ restore. It's a bit painful but it's a good fix all for a new device.

OP
S

slingxshot

I think your fine saying I purchased a SP3 and it's SSD is benchmarking slow. Now step 2 is to figure out why. Is it a bad driver, bench marking tool, defective hardware, model type, software conflict, etc... We're a long way from concluding it related to particular SDD model or that Microcenter is selling an inferior type of SP3.

Try the old wipe \ restore. It's a bit painful but it's a good fix all for a new device.

There is nothing wrong with drivers or software. I saw a lot of people reporting these write speeds with these Samsung 64/128 GB drives. The hardware is just inferior and as you go up to 256 and 512 Samsung drives the speeds increase. That is typically with SSDs. The lower tier SSDs always have slower read/slower speeds. It is just a little more significant with the Samsungs. Typically before 64 and 80GB SSDs had pretty bad performance. 128 and 256 GB drives were always significantly faster. Samsung I guess decided to give the same hardware for the 64GB and 128GB drive this time. I have a Samsung 840 Pro (256GB) and I get almost 500MB/500MB/s write.

OP
S

slingxshot

I'm done. Good luck to you.

This tablet is not cheap that's the point. When you pay this much money you want exactly whats advertised. Second of all if I buy myself a 600$ video card for my desktop computer, I expect same performance as every other video card the manuf is producing. Samething for CPUs, etc, etc. To me this is the same thing.

This tablet is not cheap that's the point. When you pay this much money you want exactly whats advertised. Second of all if I buy myself a 600$ video card for my desktop computer, I expect same performance as every other video card the manuf is producing. Samething for CPUs, etc, etc. To me this is the same thing.

If you understand at all what they are saying is that this is common between all SSDs. Higher capacity SSDs will have better write times than lower capacity regardless of the brand. It doesn't matter the price you paid for the computer.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I completely understand your feelings, at this point I would return the unit to Microcenter and put the $800 towards one of the 8/256 Machines....or if the brand is tainted there are other options as well....

The points have been made and there isn't much more productive dialog on this subject.

OP
S

slingxshot

I completely understand your feelings, at this point I would return the unit to Microcenter and put the $800 towards one of the 8/256 Machines....or if the brand is tainted there are other options as well....

The points have been made and there isn't much more productive dialog on this subject.

That is one option. Hopefully the replacement unit I am getting has a Hynix Drive... Not sure if its 50/50 chance or 10/90 chance. Microsoft doesn't have that info.