What's new

Microcenter getting a special "batch" of i5 128GB tablets, is MS trying to make fools of customers?

bluegrass

Man, I'm scared to death of digging deep into my Surface and finding out it's not up to snuff. It's been working so well for me too. I'm afraid if I dig up all this dirt on it I'll feel so bad, that I'll want to put it away in the closet and not use it anymore.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, I'm scared to death of digging deep into my Surface and finding out it's not up to snuff. It's been working so well for me too. I'm afraid if I dig up all this dirt on it I'll feel so bad, that I'll want to put it away in the closet and not use it anymore.
In every life a little rain must fall. Its an opportunity for a free bath, revel in it. :)

I decided to try one time to exchange mine at BestBuy and I'm glad I did. Got the one without a Samsung drive and now my write speeds were at 305. Much better. I could tell the difference as soon as I turned the computer on and it started the setup.

grumpy

This is why it is prudent for people to fully "wring out" their machines while they are still within the in-store exchange period, rather than just unpacking it and hoping for the best...

OP
S

slingxshot

Just give it to the big bad boogie man that's hiding in the closet.

I didn't return it at microcenter I was afraid of their restocking fee. I talked to MS Support and they were fine with replacing the unit. I don't think I got a new one, I got a refurbished one, but it looked new. I think the person returned it looked there was malware on it that didn't let you use an MS Account and was messing with the internet. A partial reset did nothing, full reset took care of the problem.

Just give it to the big bad boogie man that's hiding in the closet.

I didn't return it at microcenter I was afraid of their restocking fee. I talked to MS Support and they were fine with replacing the unit. I don't think I got a new one, I got a refurbished one, but it looked new. I think the person returned it looked there was malware on it that didn't let you use an MS Account and was messing with the internet. A partial reset did nothing, full reset took care of the problem.
I don't think MicroCenter has a restocking fee for a same model exchange. I exchanged mine at BestBuy and paid no restocking and I had till January 15 to return or exchange. I'm glad I got mine exchanged and now feel so much better. I plan on keeping this machine for several years and I would have always had this on my mind the entire time. Nothing like regretting not returning something after the return window closes.

bluegrass

opened
This is why it is prudent for people to fully "wring out" their machines while they are still within the in-store exchange period, rather than just unpacking it and hoping for the best...

Ya. It's probably a good idea to do that with all products you buy, even from Wal-Mart or any store. In the case of a Surface, you should research ahead of time for the best benchmark & diagnostic software and take them to the store with you on an external hard drive or flash drive so you can really ring it out good.

Stores should set up areas with tables and electric outlets for people to do this. It would be a good idea to also check the contents that were in the box against the content list that's either in the box or on the outside of the box. Don't you hate it when you get home and there's one screw missing and you have to return it. That wouldn't happen if you were prudent and opened every box and inventoried everything before you left the store.

OP
S

slingxshot

When I got the Surface Pro 2, it was a difficult decision, but by going to MS store and actually running my own benchmarks on the display models that pushed me to over to get one.

drolem

This is extremely frustrating because Microsoft is swapping different SSDs with huge performance difference without letting customers know..
Just where exactly MS specified that a given model should have a specific SSD? They use SSDs from 4 - 5 different manufacturers.

Just where exactly MS specified that a given model should have a specific SSD? They use SSDs from 4 - 5 different manufacturers.
Sure they haven't specified the minimum SSD specs that are included but it's not fair for someone to get a slow Samsung SSD when someone who buys one right after me, gets the fast SSD. If we're buying the same exact I5128GB, performance should be the same.

phositadc

True, but it kind of sucks when the write performance of one ssd is literally 1/3 the performance of another. When vendors use different models, they should confirm that specs and performance are comparable. 300% difference is not. Thus, they should expect certain enthusiasts to be disgruntled when they receive the lower performing model.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on aggregate Benchmarks from above the unit in question was clearly defective. End of story and Myth Busted about the "Special Batch"