What's new

Microcenter getting a special "batch" of i5 128GB tablets, is MS trying to make fools of customers?

ptrkhh

Sure they haven't specified the minimum SSD specs that are included but it's not fair for someone to get a slow Samsung SSD when someone who buys one right after me, gets the fast SSD. If we're buying the same exact I5128GB, performance should be the same.
Well, technically they could give somebody else better hardware, as long as your hardware is at least as good as whats advertised. One could buy a CPU that cant be overclocked beyond its default clock, while the other could get a CPU that can be overclocked by almost twice as much as the default clock. Can we blame Intel/AMD for that?

Make no mistake, if I were the OP, I would get an exchange too, but MS hasn't promised us anything beside it has SSD, and it clearly has an SSD, as promised.

Aurelio

I have the Other SSD (Not the Samsung)

And I did the test with AS SSD and was giving me Write speed of 103Mb/s
Sooooo....... I Disable the Bitlocker, restart the Surface...........aaannnnndddddddd.....

303Mb/s!!!!!!!

Very nice!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Other SSD (Not the Samsung)

And I did the test with AS SSD and was giving me Write speed of 103Mb/s
Sooooo....... I Disable the Bitlocker, restart the Surface...........aaannnnndddddddd.....

303Mb/s!!!!!!!

Very nice!!
But disabling bitlocker would require rewriting the drive the same as the fix for the Samsung issue.

yonghong

Mine is 128g samsung , writing speed is 124.2 MB/S, I bought it 5 months ago , what can I do, MS can exchange one for me?

So it's either hynix or Samsung ssd? And hynix>?

how do I check which one I have and how do I check write speed?

Sorry if it's already been stated. Did not read through the whole thread.

kevinlevrone

No one should test anything with BitLocker On, that's for sure.

From my research, it's clear to me that the Hynix SSD is faster than the Samsung. The controller in the 128GB version probably has double the channels when writing compared to the Samsung (hence the vastly improved speed), and the 256GB version is faster as well, by around 20+% at sequential write (probably the same number of channels but other optimizations are made).

But there is also the question of reliability over time and power draw. These should also be taken into account.

Kamran Samaie

I have the i5/256 surface for some time now and today i bought a i5/128 for my dad and it really feels like there is a weight difference, anyone else noticed that before?