What's new

microsd card problem

joudbren

Hi, I have a 64GB Sandisk MicroSD card in my new SP2 that is randomly going offline. The drive "D" is there and it's showing an XD card installed but I cannot access the card.

This card worked perfectly fine in my original SP1 and in my first 128GB SP2 that I exchanged yesterday for this 256GB version. If I pop the card in and out, voila, it comes back on line and can read and write just fine. Sooner or later though it will simply go offline again for no reason. Card is using Bitlocker but it was using that in the previous two units as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

D1vad

Do you have access to another micro SDXC card? You need to determine if the issue is the micro SDXC slot, or more likely the card. The quickest way to do this is by trying another card in your surface.

Word of warning if you determine this is a card issue be sure to return the card, by way of requiring someone at Sandisk to sign for it, they have a way of loosing cards in my experience.

OP
J

joudbren

Do you have access to another micro SDXC card? You need to determine if the issue is the micro SDXC slot, or more likely the card. The quickest way to do this is by trying another card in your surface.

Word of warning if you determine this is a card issue be sure to return the card, by way of requiring someone at Sandisk to sign for it, they have a way of loosing cards in my experience.

Thanks for the feedback! I will test another card tonight to see if any change. I also haven't tried formatting the card in this unit and enabling the bitlocker as net new on this system so I'll see if that makes any difference as well. Weird as the card worked fine on the other two SP's. Hopefully it's not the mem slot as I totally lucked out finding a 256GB SP2 locally on the weekend and not sure how long a replacement would take. Cheers!

CrippsCorner

You'd think in a place where they were handling lots of small objects they'd learn to be more careful!

leeshor

SanDisk had a documented problem with a batch of microSD cards. Getting an RMA shouldn't be a problem.

Kiri

Hm... my Sandisk 64gb MicrosdXC actually has been doing this occasionally too =/ The weird thing is that it worked perfectly fine in my other sony laptop.

It's happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I just have to pop it back out and put it in. Not sure what is causing it. I'll try other micro SD cards too.

hotphil

Not a SanDisk, but mine starting doing that. Reformatted as NTFS (think it was exFAT originally) and it's been stable ever since.

CrippsCorner

Is this happening to people that keep it in connected permanently? I had a problem at first but sorted it, and seeing as though it never comes out, I've not had a problem since...

TrentonT

I can confirm the same issue with a Scan disk card
I have been waiting for a patch from MS for now I just reboot or pop and reinsert

NGC

I was just starting to get used to my SP2 and yes my SD card will not seat itself in the slot. The card worked fine in my Surface 2. It is a Patriot brand 64gb card. Any solution? Most important is it Surface Pro 2 design or the SD card itself?
Mine is a SP2 with 512. I have been reading other forums and the ONLY card that has been recommended is a Samsung Extreme 64GB without a negative comment. Sandisk is another story. Some like the Ultra and others hate it with other negative reviews on Sandisk Extreme.
SOLVED. PUSHING IN WITH FINGER NAIL OR TOOTHPICK SEATS THE SD CARD BELOW SURFACE PRO 2'S BODY. IT SEEMS TO POP BACK ONCE IT CLICKS IN.
Sorry for yelling! I'm just glad I don't have to take back my SP2.

Last edited:

Ruffles

While I haven't had this problem, I've heard that SanDisk cards are just a hair thinner than the spec calls for so they sometimes fit loosely in the slot which causes them to disconnect. Some people have had luck putting a little tape on them to give them a snug fit.