What's new

MicroSDXC not always working

OP
B

BobM

I used the same card in 5 machines and two were flawless, and two dis-mounted constantly. That's a Surface issue.

Really.... then why can I go from using a SandDisk to a Samsung microSDXC on the same SP3 and have it work flawlessly... I've tried 2 SanDisks on it and they both worked intermittently. They worked, but constantly needed resetting. I put the Samsung in once and has worked for almost a week without one hitch.

Haldi

Before I'd go through the hassle of returning my SP3, I'd be sure to try anything but a SanDisk

So you're saying i'm supposed to throw away my 128gb SanDisk microSD card which i've used for 4-6months in my Smartphone without issues, which works in my Android Tablet, and buy a Samsung card for 100$ just that i can transfer big videos / lots of pictures from my Phone to my Surface?
Seems legit.......

OP
B

BobM

So you're saying i'm supposed to throw away my 128gb SanDisk microSD card which i've used for 4-6months in my Smartphone without issues, which works in my Android Tablet, and buy a Samsung card for 100$ just that i can transfer big videos / lots of pictures from my Phone to my Surface?
Seems legit.......

You can do whatever you want... the point is your analysis is flawed and sounds bitter. The Sandisk microSDXC firmware may just be more compatible with phones and camera's. But hey if it makes you feel better blaming your Surface then have at it. But for someone who states "I went through 5 Surface Pro 3's before I finally got one that was not defective in someway" it sounds like it's more YOU then Microsoft who has an issue. Or maybe that's just another made up story to help emphasize your point... you sound like an Apple fanboy troll.

Haldi

Here is a Video of my Problem!

IMHO that totally looks like a technical defect of the card reader.

OP
B

BobM

Here is a Video of my Problem!

IMHO that totally looks like a technical defect of the card reader.

Well that's similar to what I was seeing with the same exact SanDisk MicroSDXC. So after doing many searches on the internet I saw many people were having the same problem and NOT just on the SP3

I sent both my 128GB SanDisks back to Amazon and purchased a 64GB Samsung (faster) and the problem went away. So as much as you believe it's the SP3, my experience has proven just the opposite. Can it be with 128GB over the 64GB... maybe, but for now irrespective of the real cause I need a reliable card.

Again my guess is that there's a incapability issue with SanDisk's firmware on these chips

I'm continuing to have issue with my Samsung 64GB. Waking from long sleep seems to make it disappear. Not sure what I can do to fix this issue.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
One users experience does not dictate all users have the same experience. Don't start splitting atoms here. :)

Last edited:

WoodSurface

Glad I found this thread, experiencing the exact same issues as OP. Just to give some background, originally used a SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 Micro SDXC Memory card, model number SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A, before it got completely corrupted while copying files to it, couldn't delete or even format it. Before this corruption, I never had an issue with the card dismounting, and it was used in exFat format. SanDisk replaced this card under warranty with another 64GB one, but this time they upgraded me to "SanDisk Ultra PLUS". It's this card that from the get-go, constantly dismounted, meaning you could still see the "SDXC" as the D drive, but no access to the actual folders/files. I have to physically slide the card out, and push it back in and then it works for a few hours or so before it dismounts again. The card is currently in exFAT format, with 40.7GB out of 59.4GB free. If this keeps happening, I'll reformat it in NTFS to see if that helps.

Update: bit the bullet and reformatted to NTFS (from exFAT) since the sdxc card dismounted about 6 times today, copied about 30GB on it, about 30GB free, for the past 4 hours, no dismount yet, so immediately it seems better than before, we'll see over time.

Update 2: dismounting happened again with NTFS format. I contacted SanDisk support and we'll see what help and insight they can provide. Another observation I made while taking the card out and re-inserting it, was that the Surface didn't pick it up all the time on re-insertion, sometimes I had to take it out and in multiple times before it recognized it, makes me wonder if there is a physical design/connection issue.

- WoodSurface

Last edited:

WoodSurface

Update 3: SanDisk has recommended replacing the SanDisk Ultra Plus with their "Extreme" line. It seems both SanDisk Ultra and Ultra Plus lines have been discontinued, perhaps due to issues like these. I'll update this post when I get the Extreme card from SanDisk and test it out.

- WoodSurface

WoodSurface

Just an update after using the SanDisk Extreme 64GB card for about a month now, no issues with dismounts or other connection issues that I experienced with the Ultra and Ultra Plus. I would still recommend SanDisk versus other brands, since they back their products with a lifetime warranty, and that I used that warranty provision twice to get to this point, so I know their customer service is responsive and helpful.