What's new

microSDXC pros/cons?

Brewder

Hello - I'm a longtime "Windows guy" and IT professional. I just purchased my first Surface Pro device (5th gen) and can't wait to get it in my hands later this week!

I got the i5 model with 8GB of RAM but only a 128GB SSD...

I assume I can add a microSDXC card to it but I'm curious if there are any limitations on size, or any tips experienced surface owners could share with me please?

thanks,
//Brew

Tom Gullette

Welcome to the SP club. I'm not sure if there's a capacity limit or not but I've been using a Samsung EVO 128gB in my 5th gen i5 8GB 256 since I got it and it's worked flawlessly.

OP
B

Brewder

Welcome to the SP club. I'm not sure if there's a capacity limit or not but I've been using a Samsung EVO 128gB in my 5th gen i5 8GB 256 since I got it and it's worked flawlessly.

Thanks for the quick reply.. that's basically what I expected.

Hi, I'm currently using a 128Gb as secondary disk (where I moved my Netflix offline content and my Downloads folder), but I occasionally suffer from filesystem corruption.
I wonder if it's just a problem with mine microsd...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best microSD Cards for Surface Go in 2018

Difference between SanDisk Ultra, Samsung Evo cards, and SanDisk Extreme.
SanDisk Ultra cards are UHS-1 (U1 rating) U1 indicates a minimum write speed of 10 10 MB/s
Samsung EVO cards are UHS-1 (U3 rating), U3 indicates a minimum write speed of 30 MB/s.
The SanDisk Extreme cards are UHS-1 (U3 rating).

Up to speeds are just that... up to … but not under all circumstances.