What's new

Microsoft about heat issue

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

So, with the i7, we will always hear the fan more than the i5 ? I'm asking because I heard that the fan can be very loud (too loud).
I still didn't choose if I go for the i7 or i5.. (money is not the probelm. But i want power for adobe cc without an excessive fan noise)
That's exactly what they said. It should run warmer and the fan should run more often and faster.

bluegrass

Since I've never heard my SP3 i7 fan, I can't comment on how loud it is but I've heard others say that it's as quiet as a church mouse, so I'm not sure what the bid deal is. Of course overheating is a big deal. Excessive heat puts a strain on electronics and cause them to wear out sooner.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice tool thanks.

My i7 says 25W for the package power limit. Does this make sense?
Also my temp is 42C, power 0.6W, frequency 0.8GHz fan jumps in for a while. Does this make sense?
I believe that 25W is a burst value not sustained. it looked to me like the turbo mode burst was in microseconds.

ESO

My i7 256 is in the mail now and I am a little bit worried with all these heat issues.

Going to give it a test to see whats going on, but I must say that the reports of pretty heavy throttling is a bit discouraging. Why spend the extra money on a CPU whose performance gets heavily downgraded with even the slightest use. Maybe the i5 is a better choice.

malberttoo

My i7 256 is in the mail now and I am a little bit worried with all these heat issues.

Going to give it a test to see whats going on, but I must say that the reports of pretty heavy throttling is a bit discouraging. Why spend the extra money on a CPU whose performance gets heavily downgraded with even the slightest use. Maybe the i5 is a better choice.

I wouldn't say "slightest use", more like "sustained heavy use"...

Len J

I wouldn't be discouraged.....a little perspective:

1.) All small form factor PC's throttle....the question is are the other benefits important to you and is it adequate for YOUR needs.

2.) My I7 drops from 2.9 Ghz to 2.3 Ghz on those infrequent incidences when the fan kicks on. even at 2.3 Ghz it's as fast as the laptop it's replacing. And the throttled I7 is still faster than the throttled I5. Both are subject to the same size issues creating the heat issues. In addition the I7 has the better graphics capabilities (if that matters to you).

3.) Heavily downgraded is about what YOUR individual needs.

The only way you will know for sure is by subjecting it to YOUR individual uses....that's where the security of the return period is such a great safety net....the only thing you need to invest is a little time.

The good news is you know what to pay attention to and test during the return period. It's really OK if this isn't the tool for you.

Len

ESO

What I mean is the device is marketed as a desk and laptop replacement unit. It is supposed to run both games, programs and applications.

With that in mind I decided to get the i7 version (both better Video 5000 vs 4400, and faster CPU), to get the most out of PS and Lightroom while traveling and some other usage. And of course general interweb use and office / one note.

The store I bought from has a 30 day open buy / return policy, so I will give it a whirl :) Maybe the whole issue is a non-issue. Depending on the noise level on the fan when in use of course. I have never even seen the unit or heard it.

Will definitely use all the tips and tricks on this site before throwing in the towl - however I am a little weary of the "turn off X" to "solve Y" advice.

This will be my first Non IBM / Lenovo laptop for 4 generations (X40, X60, X201, X230) or about 10 years.