What's new

Microsoft Adding Biometric Authentication to Windows 10 with 'Windows Hello'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief

Every day it seems that Microsoft is sharing some slick new feature that will take Windows 10 to the next level. Windows 10 is starting to remind me of my girlfriend's banana, chocolate chip, and dried cherries pancakes: there's way too much going on inside, but they are ohhhhh sooooo good!

The latest doodad that those crafty engineers at Microsoft have started packing into Windows 10 is something called "Windows Hello," and promises to change the security of our devices and how we interact with them forever. It's basically a new level of biometric authentication. With it you can use your face, iris, or fingerprint to unlock your devices.

Of course, for some of these biometric features, the device will need to have specific hardware, but the fact that Microsoft is baking support for these functions right into Windows 10 shows just how forward thinking the company is right now.

Check out the video above for more of the details, and let us know what you think of Microsoft's new direction. Incidentally, the video also talks more about Microsoft Passport which is an additional array of security functions being built from the ground up as part of Windows 10.

Source: Windows Blog

Arizona Willie

I'll take that!!

I'd love that. Especially if it could be used for all the website where we have to remember the right password.

Wonder if it will work with webcams because my monitors do not have built in cams like the Surface does.

I WANT IT NOW.

leeshor

My understanding is that it will work with an add-0n Webcam if the camera supports infrared. Many do these days.