What's new

Microsoft Annouces the Surface 3

ptrkhh

This Picture shows the micro USB charging port and the Greyed out area where the Dock would connect. so how will this work in the dock???

surface3-2.0.jpg
I don't think so. The greyed area is intentional for you to stick your fingernails to open the kickstand. The SP3 has those as well.

Moreover, all docking connection with the SP3 docking station is done via the long charging port which the S3 doesn't have. Therefore, no connection can be done between the S3 and SP3 docking station.

And finally, theyre not even close in term of dimension.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think so. The greyed area is intentional for you to stick your fingernails to open the kickstand. The SP3 has those as well.

Moreover, all docking connection with the SP3 docking station is done via the long charging port which the S3 doesn't have. Therefore, no connection can be done between the S3 and SP3 docking station.

And finally, theyre not even close in term of dimension.
I misunderstood... There's a "Surface 3 Dock" completely incompatible with everything else. As is the Power Adapter. I mistakenly though for an instant we were maintaining compatibility... {misconception poof}

From the Announcement:
You can also use the Surface 3 Docking Station to instantly create a full desktop workstation, connecting easily to an HD monitor, a printer, an external mouse and keyboard, or any of a huge range of peripherals.

Picture:
Themis_027_Red-1024x576.png

look carefully ... sides go all the way up to cover all ports.

I will be sticking with my USB Docking Station that works with everything.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, its quite unfortunate that they went with the old method used in the SP1/SP2.
In a couple years they will have a revelation and upgrade the keyboard connector on the bottom and release a "Universal Dock" that works with all new products... :)

CrippsCorner

:( would have loved to see a 7-8" model coming in at £250 ($370) this model is £420 ($625) here in the UK... the price difference and size difference between this and the Pro model just makes it DOA imo.

Got an email first thing this morning with the above subject line, looks like Microsoft is releasing a smaller Surface. Here is the link to the landing page: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ace3_en_US_SP3_Purch_3-31-15_Hero_Preorder_HV

Changes I noticed with a quick glance are: 10.8” screen, 3-position Kickstand, 10 hours on battery (one more hour than Surface Pro), Quad-core Intel Atom processor, they moved the volume button to the top portion next to the power button and they have two trims... 64GB wifi/128GB wifi or 64GB wifi + 4g LTE/128GB wifi + 4g LTE. Pre order for the base model starts at $499. Sorry if this has already been posted but didn't see it when I looked. I can't imagine this is the only release for 2015, wasn't the SP3 announced around May last year?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
:( would have loved to see a 7-8" model coming in at £250 ($370) this model is £420 ($625) here in the UK... the price difference and size difference between this and the Pro model just makes it DOA imo.
The 6" phone killed the 7-8" tablet, shot it through the head now it's really dead ... could be a modified version of Bohemian Rhapsody:)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm bummed by the Micro USB charging port.

Give us back the blade connector :)

Blade = easy, it just works
micro USB = hard, which why does it go??? This way? No the other? Oops, had it right the first time.

Customers wanted the *option* to charge via USB not that as the *only* option or replacing easy with hard. D'oh!

They didn't ask me OR I woulda told them. :eek:

zhenya

Yes. I can see why they would choose Micro USB. On the other hand, this is now the 3rd type of Surface charger in 3 years...