What's new

Microsoft announces bringing the full Windows 10 experience to future devices powered by ARM

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ref: Microsoft and Qualcomm Collaborate to Bring Windows 10 & x86 Emulation to Snapdragon Processors.

HALLELUIAH! It's about time! 32 bit only at the moment but you have to walk before you run.
There's plenty of 64 bit emulation around so hopefully this wont be far behind.

Today at Microsoft’s WinHEC event in Shenzhen, China, the company announced that it’s working with Qualcomm to bring the full Windows 10 experience to future devices powered by Snapdragon processors. Terry Myerson, executive vice president of the Windows and Devices Group at Microsoft, is “excited to bring Windows 10 to the ARM ecosystem” and looks forward to bringing “Windows 10 to life with a range of thin, light, power-efficient and always-connected devices,” which may include anything from smartphones to tablets to ultraportable laptops to servers. These new Snapdragon-powered devices should support all things Microsoft, including Microsoft Office, Windows Hello, Windows Pen, and the Edge browser, alongside third-party Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps and, most interestingly, x86 (32-bit) Win32 apps. They should even be able to play Crysis 2.

Demo video:

Read the full article at the link above.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Possibly the 2017 Surface 4 (non-pro) will return to the ARM family of processors running a 10nm Snapdragon 835 and Full Windows 10 + LTE connectivity and be as thin and light as any tablet on the market.

I want on the beta test program for this. :)

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is more likely the foundation for the 7" Surface Cellular PC :) With PixelSense Display and Active Digitizer - combined with Continuum it becomes your only device :)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is more likely the foundation for the 7" Surface Cellular PC :) With PixelSense Display and Active Digitizer - combined with Continuum it becomes your only device :)
Might be but at 7 inches it wont be my only device. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's where the continuum part comes in....

Still wouldn't make it my only device. Continuum is irrelevant in the vast majority of situations where I need my surface. Other than at home, there is not a single circumstance where I could make use of continuum.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure that is true - but this isn't targeted at consumers, it is targeted at Enterprises.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
From a ZDNET article:
"Additionally, according to my ZDNet colleague Mary Jo Foley, Microsoft will "offer Windows 10 on Qualcomm to OEMs across a variety of categories, including 6-, 10-, and 14-inch categories.""

I hope that is true and I see no reason to not do it.