What's new

Microsoft Band Forums are Live!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Charging about 10 or 15 minutes a day is enough. The charger has a brilliantly designed magnetic connection to the inner side of the Band, and snaps on without fumbling. I keep a charger on USB on my desktop at the office, and one on a wall charger at home on the nightstand.

If you don't care about GPS, each charge lasts about 2.5 days. With GPS enabled via one of the fitness apps, about 1.5 days. I use the built-in steps recorder, similar to my Fitbit, without GPS. I also use the workout monitor sometimes. I start it at the beginning of my workout, and it monitors my heart rate throughout.
Perfect, I can work that into my routine... charge, drink coffee, shave, shower, eat, drink more coffee, put on the Band. :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using the Fitbit Flex for months, but have changed to the Band. Now to turn off those emails from the Fitbit people...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using the Fitbit Flex for months, but have changed to the Band. Now to turn off those emails from the Fitbit people...
Good luck with that. like on the Internet contact databases are forever. :) I still get mail for a former resident of my house from a bank after more than two decades. You don't want to bank there either, they are infamous. I have some email rules to deal with unwanted emails. :)

VickiFL

When I got up this morning at 7am, my Band was at 70%, and I charged it to 100% yesterday at 1pm. I put it on my SP3 to sync and charge, and it took about an hour to get back up to 100%. I'm sure it would charge quicker via A/C.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I got up this morning at 7am, my Band was at 70%, and I charged it to 100% yesterday at 1pm. I put it on my SP3 to sync and charge, and it took about an hour to get back up to 100%. I'm sure it would charge quicker via A/C.
Yeah, it would probably charge faster on any other USB port as well. :)

Maybe a USB Y cable would cut down your charge time.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If you care to wear the band at night, give the alarm clock function a try. Works very well - similar to the Fitbit, except that the Band allows you to set or enable/disable the alarm directly on your wrist, rather then only on the App.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it would probably charge faster on any other USB port as well. :)

Maybe a USB Y cable would cut down your charge time.

I don't charge the Band with my SP3 platform, because it seems to only trickle charge. I do use the Surface Pro 3 brick, though, which charges my Band, or iPhone very quickly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would there be a significant benefit to having the Band connected via USB to the SP3 or once you've configured it can you rely on BT 99% of the time.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Band does not have the communication connections (notifications, email, text) via computers, including PCs and Macs. The communications functions are only available via the smartphone app, and only via Bluetooth. Bluetooth connectivity to the Band is not available on PCs and Macs.

Connection via USB does sync the recorded metrics (exercise, heart rate, etc.), but not the communications functions. Microsoft plans to add this functionality, which will be quite a feat, considering the hurdles to overcome getting access to OS X and Windows APIs to access email notifications, messaging, etc.

VickiFL

If you care to wear the band at night, give the alarm clock function a try. Works very well - similar to the Fitbit, except that the Band allows you to set or enable/disable the alarm directly on your wrist, rather then only on the App.

I wore it last night, and I did use the alarm. The vibration woke me up right away. I even used the snooze button a couple times. :)

StuartBoozle

The Band alarm was a "lifesaver" this morning. I had apparently dismissed all 3 of my iPhone alarms, but luckily I had set a Band alarm for about 10 minutes later than my last iOS alarm. It worked exactly as I was hoping. It vibrated and immediately woke up me up as I've been using it this way for a week now. When it vibrates I know it's the last of last alarms I've set and I MUST get up immediately.

Very happy that it's been working so well. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Band alarm was a "lifesaver" this morning. I had apparently dismissed all 3 of my iPhone alarms, but luckily I had set a Band alarm for about 10 minutes later than my last iOS alarm. It worked exactly as I was hoping. It vibrated and immediately woke up me up as I've been using it this way for a week now. When it vibrates I know it's the last of last alarms I've set and I MUST get up immediately.

Very happy that it's been working so well. :)
Research shows snoozing makes you more tired. set it first and get up!