What's new

Microsoft Complete Coverage - worth it?

malberttoo

I've never once found a reason to spend money on extended warranties or device insurance etc. Waste of money IMO.

I do tend to agree with you on this issue, but in the case of the SP3, as much as I paid for it, just run the odds, at least in my usage case.

The SP3 is made to be picked up, handled, and taken everywhere. It is made to be out in the world. Microsoft Complete will replace it for just about ANY reason. Drop it in a lake? Here's a new one. Your kid shoots a BB through the display? Here's a new one. Arms too full of stuff and you drop it on a marble floor? You get the idea.

For $199 ($149 for the warranty plus the $50 deductible) I've got a new one on the way. Without the plan, I don't have a new one on the way for less than $1299, assuming I want the same model I had.

Desktop computers, no way do I buy warranties on those. But things that are meant to be taken with you all over the place, Microsoft Complete is just such a reasonable investment.

Nursedad

All depends on your risk tolerance. Like many in this thread and for me, the risk of paying $1299 for a new SP3 outweighs the $149 I plunked down for the this coverage.

Kif

I bought the MS warranty because I plan to use the heck out of my SP3 and I don't want to have to handle it with kid gloves. Without the warranty I would worry about dropping it or whatever misfortunate that could happen to it. With the warranty it's game on!

JesseDiaz

I think it's worth it because accidental damage is covered (which AppleCare doesn't cover). Also, unlike a standard RMA, they replace it with a brand new one, not a refurbished model.
Before my SP3, Ive had every single iPad..beginning with the iPad 3, Apple Care covers accidental ( 2 incidents )...for the iPhone, the accidental started with the 5 I believe

malberttoo

Before my SP3, Ive had every single iPad..beginning with the iPad 3, Apple Care covers accidental ( 2 incidents )...for the iPhone, the accidental started with the 5 I believe

Actually you are confusing that with AppleCare+, which is similar to Microsoft Complete. Apple still only provides a standard one-year warranty on iPads and iPhones, but you can pay extra for AppleCare+ ($99) for 2 years of accidental damage @ $49/incident.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

JesseDiaz

Actually you are confusing that with AppleCare+, which is similar to Microsoft Complete. Apple still only provides a standard one-year warranty on iPads and iPhones, but you can pay extra for AppleCare+ ($99) for 2 years of accidental damage @ $49/incident.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html
You are right....but I was trying to compare apples to apples....cant compare the standard apple warranty to the Microsoft Complete