What's new

Microsoft complete warranty..

qwertyy

Hi guys,

I just have a question about this warranty.
So Microsoft indicated that this warranty covers 'accidental damages', such as spills and drops.
I'm just curious... do they REALLY give you a replacement in the event where you accidentally drop the device and it becomes not fixable? It sounds too good to be true for only like 150 bucks.
Also, I'm concerned about people abusing this warranty (by dropping on purposely after, say, a year). How do they deal with these people?

malberttoo

Hi guys,

So Microsoft indicated that this warranty covers 'accidental damages', such as spills and drops.
I'm just curious... do they REALLY give you a replacement in the event where you accidentally drop the device and it becomes not fixable? It sounds too good to be true for only like 150 bucks.
Also, I'm concerned about people abusing this warranty (by dropping on purposely after, say, a year). How do they deal with these people?

Yes, just search this forum and you will find nothing but good reports of Complete.

The warranty is $150, and then each incident is a $50 deductible. You are only allowed 2 incidents.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I wish we could get it here in Australia. I'm terrified of breaking my screen :(
I didn't know if we could get that here in UK but when I registered the device on the Microsoft website, sure enough an option for an extended warranty including accidental damage popped up, it's not called complete here though. Did you register the device? There might be an option on the Australian store too.

Alternatively I guess third party insurance schemes could cover it.

unruledboy

I didn't know if we could get that here in UK but when I registered the device on the Microsoft website, sure enough an option for an extended warranty including accidental damage popped up, it's not called complete here though. Did you register the device? There might be an option on the Australian store too.

Alternatively I guess third party insurance schemes could cover it.

no such thing in Au website, just checked

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, Microsoft just told me they do not offer an extended warranty in Australia. Probably a good(yet stupid) legal reason for this

Liam2349

They will replace it but you are 99% guaranteed a refurbished device over a new one, so it could be scratched and visibly damaged. Due to this I decided to just count on my home insurance which will get me a new one.

Also if you are concerned about the screen like I am, check out a tempered glass screen protector. I tested one out for my Note 3 and it's amazing - no loss in sensitivity, even the pen still works properly and installation was very simple. I was so impressed that I've ordered one from Germany for my SP3.

bluegrass

Hi guys,

So what is your concern about abusers? This is the way any insurance works. Thousands of people that purchase this warranty will never use it, so those profits more than pay for the ones that do. Their is no way to avoid abusers from taking advantage of the warranty so I wouldn't worry about it. Buy it & feel the protection you'll have against an accident with your Surface.

raqball

They will replace it but you are 99% guaranteed a refurbished device over a new one, so it could be scratched and visibly damaged.

I've had refurbished units several times in the past (non Surface devices) and many times the refurbished units are better than new ones. New units go right from the assembly line to the box with zero human intervention or checks. Refurbished units often get a thorough check before being sent out.

I highly doubt MS is going to send out a replacement SP3 that's visibility damaged.. My last brand new in box SP3 did in fact have a large and noticeable scratch / mark on the top bezel. My replacement (refurbished?) is absolutely perfect.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had refurbished units several times in the past (non Surface devices) and many times the refurbished units are better than new ones. New units go right from the assembly line to the box with zero human intervention or checks. Refurbished units often get a thorough check before being sent out.

I highly doubt MS is going to send out a replacement SP3 that's visibility damaged.. My last brand new in box SP3 did in fact have a large and noticeable scratch / mark on the top bezel. My replacement (refurbished?) is absolutely perfect.
I have this opinion of refurbished items too, I have bought several refurbished cameras and my Galaxy Tab 10.1 was a refurbished unit too, all of them worked perfectly with no problems. Where I have had issues it's been with a new device!