What's new

Microsoft Dock Results

MickeyLittle

Has anyone got the $199 dock from Microsoft for the Surface Pro series yet? If so please report on how you are liking it. I'm trying to find a way to justify this purchase!

richhs

Has anyone got the $199 dock from Microsoft for the Surface Pro series yet? If so please report on how you are liking it. I'm trying to find a way to justify this purchase!
I'm interested in hearing about this too. Especially from someone who is using their SP2 to run 3+ monitors. It would be great to have the convenience of the dock, but my eventual goal is to run as many as 5-6 monitors off of the SP2... Which I think would create some cooling problems unless I have the SP2 laying on a cooling pad.

dRuEFFECT

I bought the dock last month from cdw.com (only place I found it available online without reseller markup). As a disclaimer, I love gadget docks; iPhone dock at my desk and next to my bed, iPad dock by my couch, iPod dock in the bathroom connected to speakers in the shower, mouse dock for a rechargeable mouse, and now a surface pro dock for my surface pro 2.

The price for the dock is really high, but if you consider the cost of a spare charger alone it's not so bad considering how much more you get with a dock. The dock plugs into the already existing ports and replicates them in the back. You still need a mini displayport adapter for the back, but i guess that makes it more universal than any one single monitor output. I was initially skeptical about the dock, given that it just sits there and you slide the sides into the ports from both sides. At first i thought the surface had to sit on it with the kickstand ooen, but it just lays on it and actually fits stable into place without having to finagle the position around or anything. i wasn't really a fan of having to slide the sides in, but the build quality of the dock is pretty high, and the whole thing feels really solid.

I'd recommend it, especially if you plan on having a monitor, speakers, and/or usb devices usually connected.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I bought the dock last month from cdw.com (only place I found it available online without reseller markup). As a disclaimer, I love gadget docks; iPhone dock at my desk and next to my bed, iPad dock by my couch, iPod dock in the bathroom connected to speakers in the shower, mouse dock for a rechargeable mouse, and now a surface pro dock for my surface pro 2.

The price for the dock is really high, but if you consider the cost of a spare charger alone it's not so bad considering how much more you get with a dock. The dock plugs into the already existing ports and replicates them in the back. You still need a mini displayport adapter for the back, but i guess that makes it more universal than any one single monitor output. I was initially skeptical about the dock, given that it just sits there and you slide the sides into the ports from both sides. At first i thought the surface had to sit on it with the kickstand ooen, but it just lays on it and actually fits stable into place without having to finagle the position around or anything. i wasn't really a fan of having to slide the sides in, but the build quality of the dock is pretty high, and the whole thing feels really solid.

I'd recommend it, especially if you plan on having a monitor, speakers, and/or usb devices usually connected.

Thanks for this info. Do you always have to keep the power plugged in? I'm wondering if it can be unplugged so that my Surface isn't always being charged once the battery is full. Also how do you hook up a 2nd monitor since it only has one port? Do you have to set up the 2nd monitor thru one of the 2.0 USB ports?

dRuEFFECT

I'm assuming this can be left plugged in while connected. I don't imagine they'd make a $200 dock that would fry your battery from overcharging, but the plug can be disconnected if you wanted to.

I haven't tested multiple monitors, but I'd think you could use a minidisplayport to dvi and get a dvi splitter to use 2 monitors.

tinycg

Thanks dRuEffect this is good info, I also was looking for a second adapter and then was like... well if its $80 for the a/c adapter and $199 for the dock maybe the dock is the better buy. So the dock does come with its own a/c adapter? Or do I have to use the one that came with my SP2. If it does then I'm really considering getting the dock.

Last edited:
OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Thanks dRuEffect this is good info, I also was looking for a second adapter and then was like... well if its $80 for the a/c adapter and $199 for the dock maybe the dock is the better buy. So the dock does come with its own a/c adapter? Or do I have to use the one that came with my SP2. If it does then I'm really considering getting the dock.

The dock comes with the 24 watt AC charger. The $79 charger that you are talking about is a 48 watt charger but what comes with the Surface in the box is only a 24 watt and Best Buy carries those for $39.

Disregard this info is incorrect! I am not sure what the dock comes with and I now know that the Surface Pro ships with the 48 watt charger. I was confused big time!:cry:

Last edited:

tinycg

Oh. Really? Looking on the microsoftstore.com I thought I needed the 48w one and that the 24w one wouldn't work. I was actually in a Best Buy early this week and they had the 24s but not the 48s so I didn't get one. I thought the 24s were for the non-pros?

daniielrp

Oh. Really? Looking on the microsoftstore.com I thought I needed the 48w one and that the 24w one wouldn't work. I was actually in a Best Buy early this week and they had the 24s but not the 48s so I didn't get one. I thought the 24s were for the non-pros?

You can use either with the Pro, but the 24w will simply take longer to charge the battery.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I stand corrected... They do include the 48 watt power supply in the box with the Pro 2. I was wondering why this charged so fast!

tinycg

Wow cool good to know, I thought the 24w was simply incompatible. Now I have to weigh all 3 options. Damn. haha.

dougpaw57

Wow cool good to know, I thought the 24w was simply incompatible. Now I have to weigh all 3 options. Damn. haha.

I bought a 24W because they are so much smaller and easier to carry around. It really doesn't take that much longer to charge a Pro with the 24W than the 48W version.