What's new

Microsoft Has Vowed to Cleanup the Crapware from the Windows App Store

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
microsoft-sign-steel.jpg

Microsoft is working hard to make things better across the board for all of their products. This includes their Windows app store for mobile products. They promised to clean up the app store by purging it of the glut of low-quality apps currently permeating it.

Here's a quote with more of the details,

The company revealed that it has already removed 1,500 apps from the Windows Store from developers that failed to acknowledge Microsoft’s new app certification requirements used to judge both upcoming apps and existing app updates. A review of existing titles in the Windows Store is also being conducted in order to identify apps that don’t comply with Microsoft’s new rules.

“The Store review is ongoing and we recognize that we have more work to do, but we’re on it,” the company wrote. “We’re applying additional resources to speed up the review process and identify more problem apps faster. No approach is perfect, so we encourage people to report any issues they may encounter with Windows Store. For most issues, customers can use the ‘report concern to Microsoft’ link in the Store. For infringements concerns, people can use our online tools or email [email protected] directly.”

Microsoft made three changes which it hopes will help it remove clutter from the Windows Store that affect app names, categories and icons, as follows:

• Naming – to clearly and accurately reflect the functionality of the app.
  • Categories – to ensure apps are categorized according to the app function and purpose.
  • Icons – must be differentiated to avoid being mistaken with others.
This is a welcome move and we look forward to seeing the results of their cleanup.

Source: BGR

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to admit that i have no use of the app store on the SP3, those apps are for phones, not 12" screens (imo). Having said that, it nothing but a good thing. while there are many top apps not available on the windows store, many times the argument is simply based on numbers, and from my use with android, it seems most apps out there are jokes.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to admit that i have no use of the app store on the SP3, those apps are for phones, not 12" screens (imo). Having said that, it nothing but a good thing. while there are many top apps not available on the windows store, many times the argument is simply based on numbers, and from my use with android, it seems most apps out there are jokes.
Huh? you realize the Windows Phone store and the Windows Store are separate.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh? you realize the Windows Phone store and the Windows Store are separate.

Well my windows app store is largely full of junk designed for low power tablets. And no, i have no idea that they are separate as i've never used a windows phone and never used any form of windows store before now. The apps show an icon of both a tablet and a phone.

While i bought this for tablet use, i did not buy it for tablet apps. That's what my cheap and cheerful android tablet is for, or heck, my phone. I didn't spend this much money to play flappy bird or minion rush but to be able to run actual applications via a tablet, programs that will actually make use of the hardware i've paid a premium for. As such I've no real use for the store.