What's new

Microsoft Haswell-based Surface Pro 2 Leaks Emerge

oion

so just sell your old pro, and use the funds to buy the newer one, easy peasy and not cheesy

You think reselling a used first gen will be easy despite these rumormill "news" that MS will be releasing a new version soon and is cutting prices on brand-new first gen overstock?

You can expect a big loss on a used unit due to this timing. If you manage to resell at all.

Anyway. To be honest, I really think MS needs to release a backwards-compatible battery-keyboard ASAP to retain any value on the first gens. They hinted about the possibility before with the existing power connectivity in the Pro1 magnetic connectors. That way, because a battery-keyboard will ostensibly be cheaper than a new 2nd gen Pro, 1st gen-ers can get a partial functional upgrade without feeling left out. That's just my opinion.

OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

Its playing great. It scared the #$%& outta me....lo, had to save and exit. Will resume playing at night for even scarier atmosphere playing..haha

On my pro it defaults to 720p resolution and medium graphics settings when I have it hooked up to my big screen and Xbox controller. It plays just fine on these settings. I even modified and put shadows, in graphics settings, on low. Game plays very well. For the game itself, its scary as a mofo. I think you'd really like it. Amazing how current pro can push this new release just fine.

The new pro should be beast!

Game still looks great on those settings I mentioned. Hard to describe in words but this game looks and plays great. Definitely scary, which I love.

HOLY SH%T HOLY SH%T!!! Outlast has me jumping and continuously getting that nervous feeling. I'm playing on a 24" screen, I really need to hook my PC to my big screen. I thought the first Dead Space game has me jumping, but Outlast beats it big time.

beman39

You think reselling a used first gen will be easy despite these rumormill "news" that MS will be releasing a new version soon and is cutting prices on brand-new first gen overstock?

You can expect a big loss on a used unit due to this timing. If you manage to resell at all.

Anyway. To be honest, I really think MS needs to release a backwards-compatible battery-keyboard ASAP to retain any value on the first gens. They hinted about the possibility before with the existing power connectivity in the Pro1 magnetic connectors. That way, because a battery-keyboard will ostensibly be cheaper than a new 2nd gen Pro, 1st gen-ers can get a partial functional upgrade without feeling left out. That's just my opinion.

ok yea your gonna loose some value but at least its SOMETHING to help you get the 2nd gen, and if I read the article correctly they are keeping the keyboard and everything the same so it will be backward compatible

CrippsCorner

You guys want a scary game you wanna try Slender. I thought it'd be fine... but wow, the atmosphere on that game is just crazy. My girlfriend won't play it at all! Unfortunately I haven't had a very good experience with gaming on my Surface. I downloaded Steam and a game to try out, but I got caught by the bug where you pause a download and it disappears and won't let you download it again :( very frustrating. Still, Reckless Racing is fun enough for now.

I think it'd be foolish for Microsoft to release the next version before 12 months of the first one being out, it'll make a lot of people angry. Me? Not so much as I know whatever happens I won't be spending out on the new one.

chrisleung

Wow, great news! Its a sure shot now.

Lets what what we can assume will be in surface pro 2 definitely.
-haswell processor i5. Possibly bringing the 7hour battery life said in article.
-refined kickstand. Now we have someone else in this forum, who is building cases for surface, said his friend from MS said kickstands will have new angles. Article mentions this also.
-likely pricing will match current reduced pro pricing

Now I'm reallyhoping the 8gb of ram option holds true. This device likely won't drop till at least next February or later. If earlier I'd be surprised. That time frame will hit 1year mark.

This new pro sounds killer. I want one..lol

That person is me, and looks like my friend is a reliable source of information :p

REALLY glad to hear that the size will be the same, though, which means that my case will work on the new Surfaces.

But I am a little annoyed that MS would release a new version in just 10 months after the previous one? I think that is going to rub many of its users the wrong way..

demandarin

True. I haven't even had my pro a full 3 weeks yet...and already a new version going to drop..lol oh well

Since they possibly might release early, I just hope they have some kind of trade in program..or if there's ever a need for warranty replacement, within my year of it, a good chance you'd get upgrade version at no cost since 1st. Generation no longer made. I've sewn this done before by manufacturers.

Last edited:

beman39

2 words magnets, b!tch! as long as your still on warrant tho! lol

3q3wtj.jpg

Spaniard

So 5 hours -> 7 hours. The revolution will be 9-10 hours, as the iPad or the MacBook Air so I'll wait for Surface Pro 3. This's really an update, not the next generation... they should call it Surface Pro 1.5 LOL. I think I didn't waste the money buying Surface Pro 1, so...
Everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg

pallentx

Yep - if you're getting along fine with your current Pro, an upgrade to V2 wont be life changing. This just sweetens the deal for those who didn't buy a 1st gen Pro because of the battery life.

The Toy Man

I purchased my SP on the first day it was released.

Toyed with it for 2 months and wondered if it could replace my desktop.

Answer was YES and I love the increased speed.

Zero problems, no complaints but I will buy a SP2 if/when it is available and keep my SP1.

D

Deleted member 10837

So 5 hours -> 7 hours. The revolution will be 9-10 hours, as the iPad or the MacBook Air so I'll wait for Surface Pro 3. This's really an update, not the next generation... they should call it Surface Pro 1.5 LOL. I think I didn't waste the money buying Surface Pro 1, so...
Everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg

The battery will certainly increase atleast 2-3 hours with the battery cover. Seems to me like someone is trying to justify buyer's remorse.