What's new

Microsoft Haswell-based Surface Pro 2 Leaks Emerge

demandarin

The spec jump is enough to warrant the "2" version number.
-faster/more powerful/efficient processor
-better battery life
-possible 8gb of ram
-possible higher resolution screen thN current
- adjustable kickstand

Plus the possible option of 256gb hardrive like is out with current pro(I would've purchased that version if I knew it was a available).

Enough reasons for people to upgrade if they wish. On another note, current surface pro still rocks IMO. Its just a matter if you want the latest and greatest or need that better battery life. We got people now getting 6hrs. + of battery life out of current pro. So I'm sure new Haskell can be stretched to get even more battery life than expected.

Spaniard

Seems to me like someone is trying to justify buyer's remorse.
If first rumor were said that Surface Pro 2 will have 9-10 hours of battery life, I would had sold fast my Surface Pro 1 before strong devaluation (3 days ebay auction) LOL
Margin_Call-193045991-main.jpg

CrippsCorner

Well, think of it this way.

Surface Pro: 5 hours battery.

Surface Pro 2: 7 hours battery.

Surface Pro 2 with Power Cover: 9 hours battery.

But then, if you wanted more than 5 hours, but didn't wanna spend out on a new machine, just adding the Power Cover to your original Surface will give you 7 hours. It's good to have options at least!

Spaniard

I use Surface Pro mostly near a plug so battery isn't a big problem for me, i just plug when battery is over. Power Cover will add time to Surface Pro, but more time to Surface Pro 2 and even more time to Surface 2 because of the energy efficiency of their processors.

mitchellvii

Power cover will add 1/2 pound to the weight of your Surface Pro over type cover. Now you are into true hybrid territory so why not just buy a true hybrid with tons more features? Also haven't seen pricing but I am guessing the power cover won't come cheap.

Will the Surface Pro 2 be a bad hybrid? No. Will it be the best hybrid for the business user (as the Surface Pro was when first released)? No. So if the Surface Pro did not sell when it was the best business hybrid available at the time, why should the Surface Pro 2 sell when it is not the best (or even close)? Microsoft should have gone all in with the Surface 2 adding a full HD screen and pen and scrapped the Surface Pro line. As it now stands they are poised for utter fail with both.

And yes I am angry at MS for screwing this up so badly.

Last edited:

machistmo

Well, think of it this way.

Surface Pro: 5 hours battery.

Surface Pro 2: 7 hours battery.

Surface Pro 2 with Power Cover: 9 hours battery.

But then, if you wanted more than 5 hours, but didn't wanna spend out on a new machine, just adding the Power Cover to your original Surface will give you 7 hours. It's good to have options at least!

SP1 does not get 5 hours. I was never able to get more than 3 hours 46 minutes when using it in normal mode. I could make the screen annoyingly dim and do all kinds of stuff with the power and get a touch over 4:25 before it marked critical and I was forced to find an AC outlet. 5 hours never. I owned mine for 4 months and never EVER got any closer to 5 than 4:25 to critical. Just saying.

machistmo

Power cover will add 1/2 pound to the weight of your Surface Pro over type cover. Now you are into true hybrid territory so why not just buy a true hybrid with tons more features? Also haven't seen pricing but I am guessing the power cover won't come cheap.

Will the Surface Pro 2 be a bad hybrid? No. Will it be the best hybrid for the business user (as the Surface Pro was when first released)? No. So if the Surface Pro did not sell when it was the best business hybrid available at the time, why should the Surface Pro 2 sell when it is not the best (or even close)? Microsoft should have gone all in with the Surface 2 adding a full HD screen and pen and scrapped the Surface Pro line. As it now stands they are poised for utter fail with both.

And yes I am angry at MS for screwing this up so badly.

You have every right to be upset with Microsoft as they screwed this up by the numbers. If there was a book titled "How to do it worse" they read it. My Gen 3 Intel based Zenbook weighs what the Surface Pro 2 will weigh with the battery keyboard (slightly more maybe by 2/10 LB) and already gets 7 hours of battery life. Teh haswell version should yield 11 without a 'Battery Keyboard'. Dont get me wrong though, I am glad to see them actually addressing what I see as the number one problem the SP1 had, Battery life. This new ones specs make it a viable alternative to a laptop.

demandarin

I'd be damned if I stress over some electronic devices..lol I can see if you got a defective device or something and couldn't get a refund. That's something to be upset about.

But getting mad over a company releasing a newer version of a tablet you refunded or still own is just silly. The cat is out the bag. There will be new surface versions. They will rock just like 1st. Generation. Despite initial sales statistics. Obviously enough people liked and purchased this device for them to warrant a newer updated version. So like it or not, people will buy and own them. Microsoft is one of the big wig companies if not the biggest. Although they took a loss, its chump change to them. They see the potential for big gains buy sticking this out for the long haul.

Also, its obvious the MS Surface made other vendors step their game up and they're bringing out great devices also.

No need to rage over an electronics company decision to stick with their investment for the long haul..lol

Although I dislike it most of the time, I do appreciate an oposing viewpoint on things. Someone has to be there to disagree..lol

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

SP1 does not get 5 hours. I was never able to get more than 3 hours 46 minutes when using it in normal mode. I could make the screen annoyingly dim and do all kinds of stuff with the power and get a touch over 4:25 before it marked critical and I was forced to find an AC outlet. 5 hours never. I owned mine for 4 months and never EVER got any closer to 5 than 4:25 to critical. Just saying.

Your SP1 does not get 5 hours.

As I've posted a few times on here recently, there seems to be a massive difference in what people are managing to get out of their machines. I want to start some kinda of investigation and poll to see because I'm starting to truly believe that a lot of them have been sold with defective batteries. Most of the time I'm getting around 4.5-5.5 hours, which is completely different to other owners saying they can't get above 2.5 hours. Something strange is going on, certainly.

demandarin

I think its just more so people usage is different. Specific tasks can drain the battery alot faster than others. Not everyone uses their device in exact same manner to make a direct comparison. But there are bigdifferences in nbattery life though.

Here I am pulling a lil over 6 hours out of mines on the last 2 cycles.

The only way to make direct comparison is to get everyone on a baseline settings that are the same across the board. Then compare usage. Even then apps need to be the same or similar also or there will be too many variables to be the cause of shorter battery life.

CrippsCorner

Yes, you could be right.

Does anyone know of a piece of software we could all use to measure the longevity of our batteries? Then I could make a thread about it and take it from there...