What's new

Microsoft Holding Surface 2 Event on September 23rd in New York City

chrisleung

It's in Microsoft's best interest to release both devices as early as possible.

The Surface RT was released October 30, 2012. I think we can expect the Surface 2 to be released around the same date this year.

As for the Surface 2 Pro, that'll come out whenever MS wants it to, likely by or before January 2014; this all depends completely on Microsoft's manufacturing capability, QC and supply chain issues.

CrippsCorner

Surely they wanna be aiming for either a release along with Windows 8.1 (Apple release even sooner after a reveal, so why can't Microsoft?) or at the very least, in time for Christmas...

souldier

It will be in their best interests to release it in October with 8.1 since other companies like Sony and Lenovo plan to release their new windows 8 machines around the same time. Time will tell though

Arun01

Looking forward to this after playing with the pro @ worst buy today..cough ..I mean best buy :D. The pro is a beast & i just about jizzed my pants at how fast it was! Never thought a tablet could be that quick. If they don't hurry up & bring the pro 2 out I may pull the trigger on this baby!!

demandarin

Looking forward to this after playing with the pro @ worst buy today..cough ..I mean best buy :D. The pro is a beast & i just about jizzed my pants at how fast it was! Never thought a tablet could be that quick. If they don't hurry up & bring the pro 2 out I may pull the trigger on this baby!!

hey buddy..i told you so...id say you might as well wait now since you late into the game. then you can decide if the newer device is something youd rather have. but once it does drop , the prices of current models will drop even lower being a great deal. October till Christmas seems to be a great time to get a win 8 tablet. whether full blown windows or rt version.

but like I recommended, I see you played with one in store and see now how these type devices blow away Android tablets. I love my note 10.1. but the surface pro and others is where the big boys play at...haha! I just recently, earlier today, moved all my steam games(43gb worth) to my micro sd card. now ive freed up tons of room on internal storage. im ready to rock n roll now. still amazed with the current pro performance . whether gaming wise or just everyday functions. it really is nice to have ultrabook power in a tablet form factor. makes me second guess spending money on tablets that cant perform as much or as powerful. there are really some great devices coming out.. but id put my money on surface pro 2 as far as best device build/design goes.

machistmo

The Pro 1-2 compatible battery cover news was posted some days ago, and they're supposedly being released at the same time as Pro2. I highly doubt Pro 2 will differ much in weight/thickness, because if Haswell is purported to squeeze an additional 2 hours, the assumption is 2 hours based on existing battery capacity.

@DarthBurrito:
I can't imagine using MS Office documents on anything smaller than a 10" screen. Full mini-computing smaller than that reminds me of the OQO, and we all remember how well that did, right? You're not going to stuff much of a battery in a 7" chassis, either, unless it's ARM architecture again. (The OQO was an inch thick or something.) iPad Minis do well because they do so little, as a giant phone and smaller e-reader; what would a Surface do in comparison, when both Surfaces already did so much more than iPads? I don't think it's a good idea at this juncture because the physical properties really put a hard limit on functionality at a certain point. It'd probably end up being a pure e-reader consumption device as well, sort of a waste of development resources, IMO. Unless the functionality is greatly reduced, a full mini-computer in that form factor will probably die like the OQO--unless the OQO really was a decade ahead of its time and consumers are ready now. I don't believe they are, but MS may do the gamble anyway; I suppose they can afford losing that particular gamble, though.

They could afford the 900 million write off on the Surface RT, what's 500 million on a tablet already done better by everyone else in the market? They need ONLY winners going forward. This cycle of BAD from MS is getting to the point of no-return. VISTA, WOA, Windows 8 the Surface RT device, Windows phone ... Misses abound and even a Multi-Billion Dollar company can only have so many of those. I mean honestly. Windows Phone seems to be the only bright spot in any of it and its not what anyone else in the industry would call a smashing success. In a building of 250 people I know of 5 that have windows phones... 3 of which are BSA's or MS Developers. I am not bashing MS saying this stuff I am simply stating my experiences. I own and pay for a windows phone for my sister and she loves it, in fact most of the people that I know that own the phones, LOVE the phones. Why then are so few people choosing them? Anyway they don't need a small RT when the Big RT was such a monumental flop, IMHO and FWIW.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

My girlfriend got bored of iPhone's so went for a change and got a Lumia 920. She hates it, it drops calls all the time, as well it's data connection. She tried complaining but...

EE blames Mircosoft and Nokia.
Microsoft blames Nokia and EE.
Nokia blames EE and Microsoft.

So, unfortunately it's not worked out for her and she can't wait to go back to an iPhone when her contract's up.