What's new

Microsoft Holding Surface 2 Event on September 23rd in New York City

drolem

My girlfriend got bored of iPhone's so went for a change and got a Lumia 920. She hates it, it drops calls all the time, as well it's data connection. She tried complaining but...

EE blames Mircosoft and Nokia.
Microsoft blames Nokia and EE.
Nokia blames EE and Microsoft.

So, unfortunately it's not worked out for her and she can't wait to go back to an iPhone when her contract's up.
I'd be somewhat surprised if dropping calls has anything to do with Microsoft on a Nokia phone. It's usually call processing or the HW (radio) that is responsible. The OS may play some role, for example, in the form of excessive latency, but it's Nokia's job to make sure the end product works fine. Disclaimer: I did work on some older Motorola phones, and there was a good reason why they had antennas, however small (stubby) they may have been.

CrippsCorner

Well the issue must be gaining more notion as I've seen it addressed on the national news now. I'm about to head to 4G on EE myself so this'll be interesting to say the least...

mitchellvii

Sounds like MS is going to overprice the S2 line as well. This company is simply incapable of learning from their mistakes.

eltos_lightfoot

Why should they make it any cheaper? MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs didn't thrive by winning the PC race to the bottom.

No, the Surface Pro 2 most likely will dramatically increase battery life and be roughly the same price. For me, it will replace an iPad and MacBook Pro when I travel--yet work like both. Can you say awesome?

demandarin

Why should they make it any cheaper? MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs didn't thrive by winning the PC race to the bottom.

No, the Surface Pro 2 most likely will dramatically increase battery life and be roughly the same price. For me, it will replace an iPad and MacBook Pro when I travel--yet work like both. Can you say awesome?

I agree, but only as far as pro version goes. Although I would love for it to be cheaper, im expecting similar devices. For the simple fact that no other win 8 tablet has the premium build and feel like the surface pro. No one can deny premium parts are used in its design, like the iPad. Surface pro was already well received. No device will sell more than iPad. At least at the present. Its a given fact no matter how great or cheap these devices are. Now with the RT version, I really hope they price it lower. Doesn't have to be as cheap as reduced prices now bit cheaper in general. Although sirface2 will be another great device not given enough credit, they will fail to make a splash if MS doesn't price this lower and eat up the loss. To gain more share of market.

I read a very interesting article talking about MS and Intel in the tablet arena. Basically said only way they can win in the long run is to make premium devices but price it at a loss. To gain market share in the long run. Intel and Microsoft one of the only companies that's big enough and has enough revenue to afford a big risk and loss like what im describing. They need to take the loss I Italy to gain market share. We know for a fact RT devices have been selling like hotcakes since reduced prices. I just got me a 64gb RT version for only $249. A helluva deal. I was shocked to seemhow well built the RT is and how light it is and thin compared to the pro I have also. Battery life is great on it. I see great potential in the pro and FT. Even more so RT because its priced lower. But not Initially low enough to capture peoples attention. It wasn't until the major markdown that the RT has been talked about it alot. Schools now looking to use it because of its increased capabilities and lower price point than iPad.

MS and Intel need to take the big risk to win. They need to initially eat up the losses to gain in the long run. Mthey are the only ones with enough money to do so and not really be hurt by it. Mon the flip side remember, the Xbox wasn't well received also in the beginning. Just like the rt. Now look at Xbox. They have taken over and won the console wars so far. They outdid the Sony PlayStation in the long run. By them stocking with the platform paid off. Now the possible merger of windows phone 8 and RT could be huge. They will take same app'roach like apple. Like how the iPad can also run iPhone apps. Giving access to that many more apps. MS wants to get one API across all their devices. Or at least arm tablets/RT. The merger can only benefit RT as they will have access to that many more apps.

Btw, my new RT, which I gave my woman, performs very well. As shame it wasn't marketed correctly or had initial app numbers and variety. Its a different story now as RT has over 100,000 win 8 apps at its disposal. I believe. Actually win 8 apps are growing at a faster rate than apple or android ever did. Meaning more apps are adding to total number in shorter period of time. MS is in this for the long haul. I believe it will pay off huge. People are already realizing iPad limitations and getting tired of it.

EMINENT

You said there wouldn't even BE a SP2. Back in your Corner.... put the hat on... PUT IT ON!!! ;)

LOL! Terrible ASSumption, right!

My girlfriend got bored of iPhone's so went for a change and got a Lumia 920. She hates it, it drops calls all the time, as well it's data connection. She tried complaining but...

EE blames Mircosoft and Nokia.
Microsoft blames Nokia and EE.
Nokia blames EE and Microsoft.

So, unfortunately it's not worked out for her and she can't wait to go back to an iPhone when her contract's up.

Sad. No issues with connectivity on mine with ATT.

Same carrier and area with previous iPhone? Doubt it's the phone.

OP
Spaniard

Spaniard

"This is Surface Power Cover, it's a 30wh battery added to your product."
LB_8793.jpg
LB_8800.jpg
LB_8802.jpg