What's new

Microsoft hones its plans for closing the App Gap

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have advocated for MS to pay the developers to build their app on Windows and they should be doing that. Another approach would be to hire a bunch of programmers and set up an app factory. Then churn out copies of all the top apps. Depending on location you could get a thousand programmers for a year at maybe 100 to 200 million which isn't much compared to the costs already incurred for hardware and with success would likely earn that back and more with App & device sales. How many non-crap programs could a thousand factory programmers create in a year or two??? More than you think. :)

zhenya

They need to get the actual companies that own the software to make the apps directly. 3rd party apps are always at the risk of being broken by minor software changes by those companies.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They need to get the actual companies that own the software to make the apps directly. 3rd party apps are always at the risk of being broken by minor software changes by those companies.
Yes, agreed that's my first choice but ... It ain't happening ... don't give up but employ plan B, and Plan C, and Plan D... and hurry up about it... when they cant stop/resist you anymore they will come around.

Arizona Willie

Microsoft already HAS an army of programmers --- working on Office and the next Windows and updates to the current Windows.

They could < easily > take half of the programmers working on updates and, instead of having an update every two weeks or less have an update only once a month or every two months and put the programmers they took off of updates to working on creating Microsoft Certified Apps for all the popular things like banking apps and pay by phone apps etc. etc.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Benefits of the app factory model are numerous. Specialization, code reuse, increased awareness of dev tool limitations and the code to fill the gaps, development of better toolsets, etc. etc.

Pulling people of their job to fill in would be inefficient, ineffective, and leas to a horrible mess.

silkrooster

Yes, agreed that's my first choice but ... It ain't happening ... don't give up but employ plan B, and Plan C, and Plan D... and hurry up about it... when they cant stop/resist you anymore they will come around.
Now you have me thinking of Star Trek. - "Resistance is futile"

silkrooster

I am wondering if this is the back end thought process of Microsoft with the .net going open source. So that programmers of other camps can create code for windows using their own code without having to learn anything new or not as much. It would come down to learning a new library or subset library vs. learning a new language. I wonder how far off I am on that. Seams logical (doesn't mean it is) LOL.