What's new

Microsoft issues apology for Surface issues

robertcan

That sure beats Apple which never has any problems that it will admit to: Apple is ignoring a major problem with MacBook screen stains | Apple | Geek.com

hmmm.... www.staingate.org reports Apple not only admitted the problem but has taken steps to address it, including replacing screens free of charge. So they not only admitted it, they're doing the right thing and fixing it.

Both companies have their strengths and weaknesses but if I'm to judge MS on their launch of SB and SP4. they blew it. Apologizing for delivering a poor customer experience is nice, but doesn't mean much to any of us who spent countless hours with MS Tech Support trying to get our machines to work. I know people that exchanged up to three times before receiving a machine that worked. That's lousy quality control by anyone's definition.

In the end, comparing Apple and Microsoft is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Just not the same companies, and that's a good thing for all of us :)

Criticism aside, I like the SP4 and SB a lot. When you get your hands on working versions, they're wonderful machines.

dstrauss

hmmm.... www.staingate.org reports Apple not only admitted the problem but has taken steps to address it, including replacing screens free of charge. So they not only admitted it, they're doing the right thing and fixing it....

Hogwash - the screen "staining" on the MacBook Pro has beem a problem fa long standing problem and too months for Apple to acknowledge, much less repair:

Apple now performing free repairs for 'Staingate' Retina MacBook screens with anti-reflective coating issues

I have ranted and complained about MS releasing the SB and SP4 prematurely - clearly they were not ready for prime time on release, but I am also tire of constant Apple user smugness about Apple's alleged support superiority (and I have been an iPhone owners since day one) - but you didn't see Panos saying "you're holding your Surface Book wrong" did you?

robertcan

Speaking only for myself, it's not "smugness", it's simply my experience with Apple products. I've never had to return or even seek support for an Apple product. I can't say that for my first MS hardware product in over a decade. But no, I never heard Panos tell me I'm holding it wrong :)

Hogwash - the screen "staining" on the MacBook Pro has beem a problem fa long standing problem and too months for Apple to acknowledge, much less repair:

Apple now performing free repairs for 'Staingate' Retina MacBook screens with anti-reflective coating issues

I have ranted and complained about MS releasing the SB and SP4 prematurely - clearly they were not ready for prime time on release, but I am also tire of constant Apple user smugness about Apple's alleged support superiority (and I have been an iPhone owners since day one) - but you didn't see Panos saying "you're holding your Surface Book wrong" did you?

And yet it took 20 issues before they issued an apology, not one. I still don't have them acknowledging and issues experienced on my SP3, or acknowledging they made a mistake enabling the torrent update on Windows 10 that cost me a couple of hundred bucks in data. The only reason they issued and apology for these is because the problems were getting widespread bad press.

Windows 10 should not have been released when it was. The SP4 and SB the same.

Niterider4

My Surface Book did not wake from sleep again today. Close the lid for two hours, go do something else, and come back to a black screen. The keys light up, and nothing else works. I have to do a hard power down and reboot, login to all my programs again, etc., etc. Brand new SB running nothing but Windows 10 and Microsoft Office. What a pain in the ass.

jrioux

hmmm.... www.staingate.org reports Apple not only admitted the problem but has taken steps to address it, including replacing screens free of charge. So they not only admitted it, they're doing the right thing and fixing it...
Yes, after only three years of people complaining about it. That's what I call superb customer service.

OP
E

ericspt

Premium Price = Premium Experience.

Paying $2,200 for a laptop that has these types of on going issues is not a premium experience.

Make no mistake they knew of every single problem ahead of time. If you have ever been through a product development there are very few gotcha's that someone does not know about ahead of time. It is not like its an environmental issue. Meaning that in product testing it was fine until introduced into a particular environment.

All of these problems would be evident from any type of testing.

Comparing Microsoft to Apple or making any argument is a waste of time, it is not a Apple product, it is a Microsoft product. Knowing Apple has screwed customers too makes no difference in the money I have spent on a product that has had long standing and known issue.

This is a small example of how a company loses its lead. I have so many customers that was SB Pro's. We won't sell them until they fix at least the docking/sleep issues. This feels like 15 years ago when putting your laptop in the docking or taking it out was a coin toss as to what would and would not work.

While Microsoft works on these issues a direct competitor is coming out to the Surface4, the Miix. Is it going to be as nice, have to wait and see but at nearly $200 cheaper for the same hardware, including a keyboard it may be enough.

I strongly suspect a SB competitor is coming very soon and if they address the SB issues, in the same form factor, for a similar or better price, not to mention a real support infrastructure then MS will miss out on the market.

Lot's of people love their Surfaces and the competition has done an incredibly poor job coming up with a competitor but I think that is going to change. The less share MS has on the Surface the less inclined they will be to put resources toward fixing issues.

bangsters

I'd like to chime in as well... I got my SB replaced coz of some nagging issues, albeit minor ones. So far I've had the original SP, 2 SP3, and the SB, all of which I had the MS store replace, the SB because of a tiny scratch on the screen, one of the SP3 due to a broken glass, and the SB due to the issues of a 1st gen device. All three times I had no problems getting them replaced. Although I did get the protection plan on each of them.

As for Apple, I've had 2 Macbook Pros, had excellent service on getting the power adapter and magsafe issue sorted out.

But the iPhone 6 I have (I call it an iCrap no offense) appears to have too many issues. Browser locks up, screen freezes, and all that. Only difference is it does not show a BSOD.

Not a fanboy, but at the same time, I'd still take an SB given the chance.

Seneleron

Make no mistake they knew of every single problem ahead of time.

Ok, so maybe they knew about it. From a BUSINESS standpoint, you're looking at a machine you have a lot of confidence is going to be seen as a "hot ticket item", you have a major commercial[read: exploitable] holiday RIGHT around the corner, and you look at it and say "yea, we have a few issues that need sorted, but by the time we get supply banked and these things start rolling out en' masse we should have most of those issues sorted out via updates. . . Let's launch now and make sure we cash in on present season".

I bought in a month late, so I haven't experienced TOO Many of the complaints, though I did come to realize I had a defective base/GPU. Not going to complain there either. Easy enough to exchange, takes me an hour to re-image, and away I go.

As an early adopter, you HAVE to expect these kinds of things, and you REALLY have to realize that it's par for the course for a business to push something out the door that's "almost" ready if it means capitalizing on the "consumer spirit".

And let's face it. the ONLY difference between MS and Apple when it comes down to it is that with MS it's issues with hardware, and with Apple it's issues with SOFTWARE [don't believe me, go spend a week on the macrumors forums right after a major OS change. Y'all Think YOU'RE venomous???? ]

jrioux

...Comparing Microsoft to Apple or making any argument is a waste of time, it is not a Apple product, it is a Microsoft product. Knowing Apple has screwed customers too makes no difference in the money I have spent on a product that has had long standing and known issue...
Thank you, you're absolutely right. MS screwed up and needs to correct things. I, for one, commend them for apologizing. That's the first step to correcting things. Now they need to follow up with the fixes.

I own an SP3 and the original RT. I love them both and have only had minor problems with the RT. When it bricked while trying to upgrade to Win 8.1, MS tech support quickly walked me through the fix. I am very disappointed that everyone's experience with MS has not been as good as mine. I hope these problems don't hurt the long term reputation of the Surface line or the company.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

Microsoft was forced into making the Surface line because their hardware partners certainly were not stepping up to the plate to showcase Windows 8 and the Modern UI.

Even though I have been an early adopter and I love my Surfaces, I always have thought that at some point in the future, when the hardware partners and consumers eventually jump on the bandwagon, we'll see a plethora of "designed-for-Modern-UI" devices and once that goal has been achieved, would MS still stay in the Surface business? I've always had a little doubt; however, I think the success of the Surfaces has far exceeded expectations and with the product line now a billion-dollar business (and will grow, I'm sure), I'm certainly questioning that little doubt I have about them exiting it. ;)