What's new

Microsoft just emailed me about my Power Cord replacement

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my power cord replacement today. Its just a smidge longer than the old one by 1/4 inch and otherwise looks almost identical except there's a molded 3/4 inch strain relief at the figure eight connector that wasn't present on the old one. No noticeable differences in the wire portion. Overall length is 21 inches (not including plug prongs)where the old one was 19 & 3/4 inches. Not terribly long but not appreciably different or shorter than the old one in that respect.

Note: I actually marked the new one so I wouldn't get them mixed up before noticing the extra strain relief on the new one.
strain relief circled.
WIN_20160209_133449B.jpg

Last edited:

spinachpie

Got my power cord replacement today. Its just a smidge longer than the old one by 1/4 inch and otherwise looks almost identical except there's a molded 3/4 inch strain relief at the figure eight connector that wasn't present on the old one. No noticeable differences in the wire portion. Overall length is 21 inches (not including plug prongs)where the old one was 19 & 3/4 inches. Not terribly long but not appreciably different or shorter than the old one in that respect.

Note: I actually marked the new one so I wouldn't get them mixed up before noticing the extra strain relief on the new one.
strain relief circled.
View attachment 7885

Thank god they realised how stupidly designed the other one was. My first chord exposed its wired after one trip.

Jay Marino

The first thing that I noticed about the cord that comes in the box when I purchased my SP3 brand new was the high qualify look and feel of the material and construction of the product.

The first thing that I noticed when I got my replacement cord from Microsoft, was how cheaply made it looked. It looks like my wife bought it from the Dollar store in town. I don't trust it.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first thing that I noticed about the cord that comes in the box when I purchased my SP3 brand new was the high qualify look and feel of the material and construction of the product.

The first thing that I noticed when I got my replacement cord from Microsoft, was how cheaply made it looked. It looks like my wife bought it from the Dollar store in town. I don't trust it.
Maybe you can upload a photo. I don't see much difference between the one I received and the one I had.

Chuck_IV

Maybe you can upload a photo. I don't see much difference between the one I received and the one I had.
Neither do I. Mine looks pretty much identical to the original, minus the new extra stress relief covering near one end.

I have a 2nd one supposedly on the way (went through the process again to see if I could get one for the extras I bought) so we'll see what that one looks like, when/if it gets here.

Chuck_IV

So to follow up, I ran through the process 3 times and got 3 replacements without issue. Yes, I have 3 chargers, got 1 with the SP3, 1 a bought separate from the SP3 and the 3rd came when the MS store replaced my damaged SP3 under the care plan. They didn't want the accessories back(so I also have a 2nd SP3 pen as well).