What's new

Microsoft Mail App: Improvements?

J515OP

Super Moderator
It is clear that Outlook is Microsoft's killer mail app and where they want to drive users (whether locally or through 365/OWA). As an alternate to that Microsoft would love to drive users to Outlook.com. These may be the main reasons for the very simplistic mail app they have provided in Windows 8/RT. The shortcomings have note gone unnoticed. If Microsoft wants to compete it needs to up its game and create the next generation of Outlook for mobile devices. They certainly have the expertise to do this and it is only a matter of allocating the time and resources. They may want to take a look at this to get started.

Inbox Unchained: Mailbox just fixed email on the iPhone | The Verge

JP

bosamar

As I said before I'd sure love to see Outlook 2013 RT. Seems easy enough to me for MS to accomplish. Are RT users using Outlook.com as a replacement for the RT mail app?

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
The problem with Outlook just ported to RT is that Outlook is a pig. It makes sense on desktops for Corporate use but not so much for the new mobile era. MS has a great opportunity here to rethink what it is that makes Outlook great (mail, calendar and integrated tasks) and turn that into something simple, light and touch friendly. Outlook.com is already a step in the right direction but it is basically touch friendly hotmail.

Gmail (web and Android implementation) is still arguably the bench mark and the fact that you don't even have basic organization options in the standard MS app is an oversight. I believe MS is going to improve the app but clearly they pushed something very basic until they can take care of some other priorities and come back to it. When they do, it is their chance to break the mold and show what mobile mail can really be about.

JP

bosamar

The problem with Outlook just ported to RT is that Outlook is a pig. It makes sense on desktops for Corporate use but not so much for the new mobile era. MS has a great opportunity here to rethink what it is that makes Outlook great (mail, calendar and integrated tasks) and turn that into something simple, light and touch friendly.

If Microsoft did make an Outlook 2013 RT version I hope it will be more touch-friendly than the current Office 2013 RT programs. Older farts like me need all the help we can get.

ArnoldC

Do you guys remember the Windows Mail on Vista? It disappeared in Windows 7. I like it very much, works well and I never remember encountering any serious problems with it.

I'll be happy with that on the RT. I can see traces of that application on the RT, I hope it comes back.

ArnoldC

If Microsoft did make an Outlook 2013 RT version I hope it will be more touch-friendly than the current Office 2013 RT programs. Older farts like me need all the help we can get.

Hey bro, have you tried 125%? It makes the Desktop and anything in the Desktop much easier to touch.