What's new

Microsoft Might be Looking to Ditch Internet Explorer for Windows 10

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
spartan-from-300.jpg

There's a new report over at ZDNet that Microsoft may ditch Internet Exploreer for Windows 10. Supposedly they are working on a browser called "Spartan" that will be light and fast to better compete with Firefox and Google Chrome.

To be clear, their report indicates that Internet Explorer 11 will be included with Windows 10; however, it will only be included to make sure there is backwards compatibility for end users. The main browser of focus and development for Windows 10 is "Spartan."

Here's a quote from the article with a few of more details,

However, if my sources are right, Spartan is not IE 12. Instead, Spartan is a new, light-weight browser Microsoft is building.

Windows 10 (at least the desktop version) will ship with both Spartan and IE 11, my sources say. IE 11 will be there for backward-compatibility's sake. Spartan will be available for both desktop and mobile (phone/tablet) versions of Windows 10, sources say.

Spartan is just a codename at this point. My sources don't know what Microsoft plans to call this new browser when it debuts. The IE team hinted during a Reddit Ask Me Anything earlier this year that the team had contemplated changing the name of IE to try to get users to realize the much more standards-compliant IE of today is very different from older, proprietary versions of IE.

Microsoft may show off Spartan on January 21 when the company reveals its next set of Windows 10 features. But my sources also aren't sure if Spartan will be functional enough for inclusion in the Windows 10 January Technical Preview and mobile preview builds that are expected to be available to testers in early 2015. It may not show up in the test builds until some point later, they say.

Do you think that Microsoft will make such a radical shift in the desktop sector?

Source: ZDNet

VickiFL

I heard about Spartan. From what I read, it almost sounds like they are doing away with IE in favor of this new browser, but that is just speculation on my part.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure why not ... IE will still be there for backwards compatibility ... at the speed of business it will be there for decades to come for backwards corporations. :)

As far as Spartan mimicking the sparseness of Chrome it's idiotic but that's all the rage nonetheless... so let it be written so let it be done. :)

kundas1

I don't see what the problem of IE is, I use it all the time and it is my favored browser and it works flawless for me... I don't get what peoples problems are with it...

lparsons21

I use IE both modern and desktop all the time with very few issues.

But where in the past IE was the go to browser that worked everywhere, that's just not the case these days. Here's a couple things that made me get Chrome as a solution.

1. Office 365 Home account page - can't add a new product key for the annual subscription renewal bought at retail. I found that quite odd. I even got MS tech support online and they had to install Chrome to get it to work on my machine.

2. DFAS - military pay and benefit site, IE wouldn't log in although everything appeared correct, just wouldn't get past the login. Again Chrome to the rescue.

Personally I hate it that the web creators for financial and other secure sites can't seem to write a universal website. But I suppose it is fun to make the site 'cool'!! :)

Arizona Willie

I had been using Chrome but have recently discovered that Chrome continues running < something > in the background even an hour or more after the last time I used it.

I've been having a problem with Free Space disappearing on my C drive and using Resource Monitor I can watch what is writing to the disk and I see Chrome still writing something to System Volume Information directory over an hour after I have quit that browser.

I can shut Chrome down and leave the room and come back hours later and it is still sitting there running away.

If I use IE this does not happen.
-----------------

I use IE both modern and desktop all the time with very few issues.

But where in the past IE was the go to browser that worked everywhere, that's just not the case these days. Here's a couple things that made me get Chrome as a solution.

1. Office 365 Home account page - can't add a new product key for the annual subscription renewal bought at retail. I found that quite odd. I even got MS tech support online and they had to install Chrome to get it to work on my machine.

2. DFAS - military pay and benefit site, IE wouldn't log in although everything appeared correct, just wouldn't get past the login. Again Chrome to the rescue.

Personally I hate it that the web creators for financial and other secure sites can't seem to write a universal website. But I suppose it is fun to make the site 'cool'!! :)