What's new

Microsoft Office Metro Apps?

Hi all,

I'm glad to have a 4-year subscription to Microsoft Office 365. I love using Word, Excel, OneNote and Outlook on the Desktop.

Is Microsoft going to offer Metro-based versions anytime soon? I know a Metro version of OneNote already exists. But what about the rest -- Metro Word, Metro Excel, Metro Powerpoint, Metro Outlook, etc.? Note that even on Windows RT, installing these apps from the store runs them in the DESKTOP!

I haven't even heard MSFT talking about this recently (not since some news in 2013). Have you? Thanks!

sashlon

According to Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrot, they're in the works and have been for some time. But Nadella has apparently decided to prioritize releasing Office for Android tablets first.

Chasing the market share obviously.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is the rumor I'm hearing, Windows Gemini (MUI Version of Office) will release to correspond with Windows Threshold (Q2 C2015)

OP
E

EthanDavis

That would make sense! News is that Microsoft is going to remove the desktop from Windows 9 RT entirely. Right now, Office not having Metro Apps is the only thing holding them back from doing that.

goodintentions

That would make sense! News is that Microsoft is going to remove the desktop from Windows 9 RT entirely. Right now, Office not having Metro Apps is the only thing holding them back from doing that.
Personally, I think windows rt is great for surfing the net safely. Because of the locked down nature of rt, you can pretty much do anything you want on the internet without the fear of infection. Don't know why people can't see this.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that and all the windows utilities and admin tools are desktop based.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, but there is a MUI version for RDP and many of the tools are moving to Cloud Management Portals...
Connecting to the could for viewing the event log, making system config changes, managing files, will be a major fail IMO. File Explorer, Event viewer, Task Manager/Resource Monitor/Performance Monitor, Control Panel and all is subparts, Notepad, Command Prompt, PowerShell, etc. All need native MUI counterparts.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Connecting to the could for viewing the event log, making system config changes, managing files, will be a major fail IMO. File Explorer, Event viewer, Task Manager/Resource Monitor/Performance Monitor, Control Panel and all is subparts, Notepad, Command Prompt, PowerShell, etc. All need native MUI counterparts.
I don't believe that is the use case they're going for with Small Screens in Threshold...