What's new

Microsoft Pulls Update for Surface Pro 2 Due to Multiple Issues

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Pro2_type_purple_cam8_transp-backg.png

This is proof positive that not all updates actually make things better. Recently Microsoft sent out an update OTA for the new Surface Pro 2. Unfortunately, for a large number of users, it created more problems than it fixed. In fact, Microsoft's support pages were so inundated with complaints, Microsoft has pulled the update temporarily until it has a chance to update the update.

For many users, the update didn't even install properly, yet for others numerous problems cropped up including: battery-charging issues, problems in putting the device to sleep and/or shutting it down, and overheating problems because the tablet wouldn't go to sleep. A Microsoft forum moderator responded with,

“To ensure the best experience for our customers during the holiday season, we have taken steps to remove the update for the Surface Pro 2 that was previously published through Windows Update on December 10th, 2013. We are working to release an alternative update package after the holidays.”

That's at least a bit encouraging. We will try to update you guys as more details emerge, but just in case we miss it due to the holidays, please sound off in this thread once the newer update starts rolling out.

Source: BGR

oion

Ah, it's finally happened. What that means is the percentage of reported problems got to such a threshold (this is why I harrass people with issues like that to report to Microsoft through official channels for more data points)--it was 0.1% of Windows RT users who had problems with 8.1 (reported by MS), and that update was pulled. So I'm curious what constitutes "large" number of users in this case. I'm generally reminded of this situation as well. Hoo boy.

oion

How do they " pull " an update that was already installed?

Well, from the patching server. Not everyone is (1) using their devices online at the time the update is available and (2) some people have auto-install disabled but allow Windows to tell them an update is available so they can plan accordingly (I don't reboot my PC for months, for example).