What's new

Microsoft pushes out new Surface UEFI and Firmware October updates

Niterider4

I would be very happy if this update put an end to my Surface Book spontaneously freezing. My Surface Book becomes unresponsive for no reason about once every day. Sometimes it is in the middle of doing work, but more often it is overnight when no programs are running and the lid is closed. Very frustrating and annoying for a supposedly high-end laptop.

Migi

I would be very happy if this update put an end to my Surface Book spontaneously freezing. My Surface Book becomes unresponsive for no reason about once every day. Sometimes it is in the middle of doing work, but more often it is overnight when no programs are running and the lid is closed. Very frustrating and annoying for a supposedly high-end laptop.

Will you be getting the new Macbook Pro?

Niterider4

I have never owned an Apple product, with the exception of an iPod Nano (which is awesome). However, my wife has an iPhone and my son has an iPhone and a Macbook Pro, which they both love.

Given the experience I have had with the Surface Book, I would consider trying the Macbook Pro. My needs are pretty basic - I need a laptop that is reasonably light, which I can also use as a tablet, to run basic Microsoft Office programs. Above all, I need it to be reliable - it has to work every time I open the lid, and it has to not freeze in the middle of a lecture. My Surface Book has failed miserably in terms of reliability and dependability.

I never thought I would say this, having owned PC's since the days of DOS, but my experience with Microsoft's Surface Book does have me actually considering a Macbook Pro.

Migi

I have never owned an Apple product, with the exception of an iPod Nano (which is awesome). However, my wife has an iPhone and my son has an iPhone and a Macbook Pro, which they both love.

Given the experience I have had with the Surface Book, I would consider trying the Macbook Pro. My needs are pretty basic - I need a laptop that is reasonably light, which I can also use as a tablet, to run basic Microsoft Office programs. Above all, I need it to be reliable - it has to work every time I open the lid, and it has to not freeze in the middle of a lecture. My Surface Book has failed miserably in terms of reliability and dependability.

I never thought I would say this, having owned PC's since the days of DOS, but my experience with Microsoft's Surface Book does have me actually considering a Macbook Pro.

Get a Macbook(the regular one with 1 Type C port) + iPad Pro(9.7"). You can use the Macbook for typing up lectures in MS Office and the iPad Pro for giving lectures. The great things is Office is on everything.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
@Niterider4 I would ask for an exchange. My SB has been rock solid, I have a couple of lock ups that have more to do running Insider Fast on my machine.

macmee

@Niterider4 I would ask for an exchange. My SB has been rock solid, I have a couple of lock ups that have more to do running Insider Fast on my machine.

does this new firmware for SP4 suck? ever since the december sp3 crisis I'm too afraid to touch these updates although the last several have been good.

macmee

did you try reinstalling windows? Windows is pretty garbage and I find that usually re-installing fixes more grievances I have from a botched install.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
does this new firmware for SP4 suck? ever since the december sp3 crisis I'm too afraid to touch these updates although the last several have been good.
This was for the Surface Book....the last firmware for the SP4 was in August....

nnthemperor

Maybe you have a defective unit. My SB started acting up after the anniversary update and I had it exchangedby MS. Since then it's been rock solid.

Sent from mTalk

nnthemperor

Get a Macbook(the regular one with 1 Type C port) + iPad Pro(9.7"). You can use the Macbook for typing up lectures in MS Office and the iPad Pro for giving lectures. The great things is Office is on everything.
He said he needs a device that he can use as a tablet. A MacBook and an iPad are hardly one device.

Sent from mTalk

Niterider4

Correct - I wouldn't want to go to two devices, and the screen of the iPad is a bit small for me. To be honest, the form factor and advertised function of the SB are perfect for me. If my SB was reliable, it would be perfect. Unfortunately, reliability is the most important feature to me, and that is where the SB falls down.

I have not reinstalled Windows, because I hate the idea of having to set everything up again, but I suppose that's the only thing left to try.